Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Worst Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassistjo, Feb 19, 2006.

1. bassistjo

bassistjo

Jun 22, 2005
    I wana know what the worst bass that you ever played is and what brand name not to buy

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Instrument Technician, Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    "IT'S NOT BRAGING IF YOU CAN BACK IT UP"

JACO PASTORIUS

It's also not bragging if you can't spell it.

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'm waiting for this thread to fill with either Wishbasses or squires, but thats just me waiting and doubt people have played the wishes...

4. Ok then.

Warwick
    Sadowsky
    Bongo

5. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    If the neck is straight and the electronics are working and the set-up is at least OK.. there really isn't any bass that I've played that I wouldn't buy if I needed one. So I guess if its working OK, then it can be made to get the job done.

I don't think I could go out in public with one of those "Daisy Basses" or something with a shorter scale than 30 inches.

6. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I don't like BC Rich's because they poke me in the arm....and leg.....and chest...and crotch area.

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I once again identify this thread as one that can come to no good, and will go down hill swiftly until its shut down.

That should be in a matter of minutes, if the fate past threads with the same title are any indication.

8. MistaMarko

MistaMarko www.markmichell.com

Feb 3, 2006
    Shreveport, LA
    Endorsements: Warwick Basses, Warwick Amps, EMG Pickups, Dunlop Strings
    Every brand has a good bass. Every brand has a bad bass, but the very first bass I had, I bought from a pawn shop. A Galveston bass, that looks like a squier. its sooo crappy.

9. Trying to play a peaceful melody by the water, and can't get a damn note out of the thing!! ...need new strings perhaps?

10. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    har har.

What a lame idea for a thread.

11. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    What a bass! That thing must have been great to "play"!

12. vooch311

vooch311

Aug 28, 2001
    Wilmington, NC

what a bunch of smart asses on here. if you don't like the thread, don't reply to it. n'ah mean?

anyway to answer your question, the worst bass ive played would have to be a Cruise bass. its the only one ive ever seen and it was extremely short for a bass.

13. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    One mans trash is another mans treasure. Not everyone can afford boutique basses. I'll keep my opinion to myself on this one.

14. Trev

Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    Of course this is all very subjective, but for me personally it'll have to be the Warwick Corvette Pro 5-string I had. Sounded great, especially in recordings, but I could never get used to the ergonomics (neck dive) and the neck was just too chunky for me.

15. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    We once again appeal to the spaceship mod to do the right thing.
    Please.
    :rollno:

16. "The reason i started playing bass was i was in daddy's junky music store and there was a reely hot girl on a bass starter pack"

If this is not a troll, I have no idea what is...

17. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I bought a Squier Jazz in the late '80s's, and after I replaced the pickguard (damn thing wasn't shielded and everytime you touched the pickguard it "popped"), pups (threw in some EMG's) and bridge (Badass II) it was actually quite playable and sounded pretty good. I was gonna replace the tuners but someone saw it wanted to buy it so...

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Worst bass I ever played was a Warwick Thumb, one of the best I ever played was a Warwick Thumb. Comes down to setup, electronics, and wear and tear.

Second worst I ever played was a Fender. Needless to say I've been playing Fender almost exclusively for nearly two years.

Shut your eyes when you play it, let your hands and ears tell you what to buy, not the name on the headstock.

19. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Anything made by wal, alembic, Foderas, Zon, Shadowsky, Status or Rickenbacker....

all terrible basses. Don't even try them.:rolleyes:

20. *sigh*... if this is a serious thread...

The absolute worst instruments I've ever played have been any and every single bass I've ever played at local music stores, such as Sam Ash. All of their instruments, no matter what the price, is setup to be played by absolutely no one. They're simply putting instruments up as wall decorative.

As Lyons said, setups make a galaxy of difference. If you just try playing an instrument that's been hanging on a wall for 6 months with action that rivals an upright, it will sound and feel awful if played in comparison to an arbitrary instrument with a decent setup.