1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Worst Gig Ever

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by -Kiedis-, Apr 20, 2009.

1. So the band was asked to play on the Easter Show. The day started fine, hopped on the bus and we drove to the show.

As we were getting ready, huge clouds came over the venue.
    We had all the amplifiers on stage along with the drum kit and ready to have a soundcheck.

As we were walking to the stage it started pouring and all of our guitars and electronics got wet... We didn't even get a ride home after that sucked. Worst gig ever..

2. Ohy Ve...outdoor gig strikes again!

I remember a gig when I was 17 (I wasn't even one of the band members...I was their sound guy!) when the clouds broke open. The guitarist wanted to keep going but the other band members looked worried. I didn't hesitate...seeing as half the equipment belonged to the particuar high school we were playing in front of. So, the last 3 songs in a set by a Christian Ska band in Rural Southern Indiana was interrupted by my insistence we rush all equipment back into the building STAT!

Obviously in our youth we never anticipated the need for an inclement weather drill. 14 years later, every outside gig I have...If it's even a hint of precipitation...i've got a backup plan looming in my melon. Live and learn.

3. lol! that's what i'm gonna do from now on. Have the amps on trolleys to wheel away instantly if the rain starts

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    For outdoor gigs, if it looks like rain I bring my backup rig rather than my main rig. And I have a tarp right beside the rig ready to cover it up at the first sign of rain.

I have played very damp gigs, no problems there but rain I don't like unless I am covered.

5. lol yea but the rain was coming at us on an angle, my mate's guitar is worse than my bass
    his guitar's pickups got screwed pretty badly..strings decayed