The worst head/cab/combo/rig you've ever played?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mara, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Many of us, including myself, are trying to find a good combo or rig to suit our playing styles and venues. Some people are lucky/smart and find their favourites in no time, but probably most of us go through hell and high water before finding what we like.

So go ahead and list the biggest disappointments you've experienced when trying out different heads, cabs, combos and/or rigs. If you could also mention for what use you were looking for the product and why you think it was such a flop, maybe we could learn something...

Lets spill the dirt.
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Ambeg B-2 head and an old Peavy 4x10 cab when I was just starting out. Boy, what was I thinking?! :eek: What a horrible tone!
  3. Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Couple of years ago I was looking for a budget combo to use in practise with my rock/metal group. Tried this in a shop and was assured it would be plenty (15", 165W RMS). It was not. The sound would disappear like a fart in Sahara, even when turned to 11.

Traded it in for my current (17 year old) Peavey Combo300 (15", 210W RMS) which has performed much better.
  4. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Anything by GK. I really hate GK stuff.
  5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Well, I was in NYC playing a couple showcases a couple weeks ago...

...Arlene's Grocery has this Hartke rig - 3500 head, 410, & 115. Oh my gawd, what a dog! :p There was NO high end when I started playing, I noodled with the preamp for 10 minutes, couldn't get any definition out of it (very unusual, the cabs are TOO bright for me typically), finally just dealt with the mud-tone. Halfway through the set - it finally started giving me highs...of course with the extreme setting I'd had to use to get any definition out of it to start with.... :eek: :p

The other club we played, Le Bar Bat, had a Fender BXR 300, which actually was passable after the debacle with the Hartke rig the night before. Just tilted it back against the wall so it was pointed at my head and let 'er rip.

Mind you, I'd much rather hear my Eden/Demeter rig any day! :D

Ah yes...backline amps, what fun!
  6. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    There's a local club that has backline that's used for an open mic jam. I almost never go because it's such a crappy rig. An old SWR SM-400, which wouldn't be bad if it actually worked. It's run into a big ass beat-up Bag End cab and a 2x10 of unknown origin.It goes :fart:fart:fart:crackle:crackle:fart:.
  7. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    The first gig i ever played i played through a 60 watt peavey combo from the late 70s? with a full band; guitar player had a 120 watt crate with 412 cab and of course a full drum set and a 400 watt pa which i was not hooked up to. My next gig I upgraded to a GK 400RBIII 1x15 combo something like 150 watts, but of course still zero headroom with the same band situation (started farting when trying to be heard through guitar). now i play a ampeg B2 and an Ampeg 810E classic. The tone is badazz!!! but i may still need more power because I play with 2 guitar players now.
  8. My first "real" bass amp was when i was 15, a Crate BX-160 with built in chorus :D

That thing not only sounded like garbage, it had no volume.

i was getting drounded out in a basement ba a 40 watt peavy guitar amp :confused: :mad:

well, anyway i love my sm-400s and my 8x8 :cool:
  9. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    it was the hartke kick back 10 and 12 i owned. i like their heads but the cabs really suck...
  10. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Back in the early days I used a crate b160xl with the ev speaker in it and it worked fine for me. I bought a new peavey mark 6 (I think) head and what a waste of money, the worst tone ever. That thing would not die, sometimes peavey reliability is not a good thing.
  11. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    -or- i had the great misfortune of sitting in on another band's practice and i got to play through their no name tube head that i'm pretty sure was meant for guitar run through an antique home stereo speaker. it smelled bad (like poop) before you even turned it on. and then when you did it smelled like electrocuted poop. it farted a lot which was fitting as well i guess... that was the only practice i went too...
  12. ummm, warwick heads. was the profet IV, 410 & 15 setup, it sounded awful. tried some other combinations of heads with warwick cabs, and the best IMO was an Ashdown ABM 300 with a warwick 210 and 15, so its just the heads i hate :D .
    Also the aluminium coned hartke cabs

13. Worst tone....Hartke Kickback Combos and Transporter cabs
    Worst reliability.....Peavey, pretty much anything by peavey
    Worst portability...."refrigerator" 8x10 and 2x15 cabs
    Worst combo...Crate, Peavey Microbass
    Worst head....Peavey Deltabass
    Worst cabs....Sunn beta bass 2x15
    Worst rig.....I played a gig in Tampa Fla. at the Brass Mug, their house bass rig was...Crate 200W head, Hartke TP 2x10 and and old no-name 1x15(the soundguy said it had a JBL D140 in it) what a complete waste. I just borrowed a workingmans 12 for the rest of the gig.
  14. Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    That's strange because it seems like majority of people in this forum give Peavy thumbs up for its reliability. Bad luck perhaps?
  15. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    The Crate BX220 head... my Carvin 100 watt combo sounds alot better and is much louder. The worst cab I've played was the 2x15 Crate cab under the BX220 head... bad...The worst combo I've played would be one of those Rogue 20 watt jobs.
  16. Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    i'm with lo-z...i'm not a big fan of gk stuff...

on a side note, i can't believe that namlssboy admitted (in virtual public, nonetheless) that he played at the brass mug. ah, the brass mug, such fond memories...
  17. Carvin RC210.

No bottom
    No guts

Just a lot of mid-bass boom.
  18. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Besides 5-watt combos, I'd say it'd have to be a

GK400RB + Marshall 2x15

Mumble city.

And the damn head kept vibrating off the top of the cab (never fell off, but kept trying)! I had to keep a close eye on it.

On the flipside, the same practice space had another room which had the best sounding amp I've used (not that I've used many):

Ashly preamp (biamped) -> Crown Macro-Tech (big power) -> 2x15 + 2x12 + 2x10 home-made looking cabinets.
  19. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Laney BC120 1x15" combo. All the stuff mentioned here sounds like audiophile gear in comparison.
  20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Id have to say any SWR gear pretty much is my definition of sucky tone. (I know that doesnt make sense when read word for word.)

I really really dislike the tone I get out of their amps. I know others swear by them, but its just not what I want at all. Its not really that hey are crap, but they suck at getting the tone I want.

Other than that, on the pure suck side, we have Carvin. The heads are ok, but the cabs are pure suck. No low end at all. Just boomy low mids as mentioned earlier.