Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The worst part of selling or trading a bass/guitar

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cb56, May 20, 2003.

1. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    is finding a box to ship it in :spit:
    I hate this part. The last time I had one of those fancy box and ship places box up a guitar for me it cost $150 :eek: If I go to a music store and ask for a box to ship a guitar in I get the "Well you're not dealing with me why should I help you out" attitude. Seems like most bigger stores already have their boxes flattened and bundled before they throw them outside. Jeez I'd probably pay $10 or so for a box the right size and sturdy enough to ship an instrument. Any suggestions? I would like to have shipped this ....well yesterday.

2. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I work with a company that ships lots of expensive electronics and one of our vendors is a custom box maker. A local mfr/distributor will have lots of different size boxes in stock. I'll be they'll have a new box that will be close to the size you need for less than $20 or $15. You can look at sizes at a place like uline http://www.uline.com Look is the yellow pages for shipping materials.

3. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I've done it 2 ways.

1) You can find a smaller box that fits around the case but isn't long enough and get 2 of them and tape them together to make a longer box.

2) Find a mirror or picture box that's bigger than what you need and cut it down to fit. These ran ~$8-9 last time I got one.

What I found was that a local shipping/boxing store that wasn't one of the big chains had a much better box selection. Maybe one of the places that sells moving boxes would as well. I've heard of people using bicycle boxes too.

Now I just save every box I have a bass come in and since I do very little local buying (last time I did I had them give me the box it came in) I usually have a box available. If all else fails and the new replacement bass is coming from a web buy then I buy it first and sell the old one after I've got the shipping box in hand.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I hear that. It's a pain. I think a company that made boxes like that would make a tidy profit. Say, Fender, for instance. Pay $10 bucks, and get a nice heavy duty box to ship basses in, available at music stores and online; fits HSCs and gig bags.

I think that would be a nice thing for someone to start putting out.

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    My wife just called and said she found a box that is just about perfect at the local bike shop. :D

I tried uline and to get the box I needed I had to buy 5 of them.:(

It is tempting to save every box you get but I don't have the room.

thanks for all your suggestions

6. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    I go behind Guitar Center. They have a special dumpster just for cardboard. There's usually a bass box in there or an acoustic guitar box usually works too.

7. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I have a store "Mail boxes etc." right by me that packages and ships via UPS. Great place, and pretty good deals on packing and shipping. I think it was at most 20 bucks to ship a bass out, in the case and all.

I also always save any boxes I get music stuff shipped to me in. In case I sell it later on.

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Go to GC about an hour after they open. The boxes are still intact.

9. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I have found that mom & pop stores are usually willing to give up their boxes for free.

10. The worst part about trading a bass is:
    Finding out that I had a 1957 Fender P-Bass w/ Tweed case(I bought at a Pawn shop) for $100.00.. AFTER I traded it for the Peavey Fury bass that I currently own.. OOPS!! (Yes, I got my butt kicked for that!) How was I supposed to know?? I guess whenever the dude at the music store told me, he'd give my ANY bass I wanted for the bass I had.(Originally in there to get strings)
    :bawl: :spit:

11. That box you shipped the Mod in came in handy, Woodchuck :) I used it ship my AC50 back to Carvin that very day.