Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The worst rendition of a classic tune you've ever heard

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Blackbird, Jan 31, 2001.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    There was another thread in this forum that mentioned that Britney Spears recorded "Satisfaction" by the Stones. Which second rate artist's rendition of a classic tune makes you cringe? I haven't heard the B.S. Satisfaction cover, so I have to go with Michael Bolton's "When a man loves a woman". Sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Will C.:cool:

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

"Substitute" by the Who performed by the Sex Pistols

"Proud Mary" by any band playing at a wedding reception or an Elks Club

The US national anthem by Roseanne Barr

This could change. Today I learned Marilyn Manson is "Willy" in the upcoming remake of "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory." NO JOKE. That could cause me to edit this.

[Edited by rickbass1 on 02-01-2001 at 10:35 AM]

3. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    At about minute 14 of their very unfortunate 15 minutes of fame, 4 Non-blondes covered Zep's "Misty Mountain Hop" (I am not making this up). I saw the video, and was very tempted to rip my eyeballs out. Nothing could possibly be worse than that.

4. ok i just listened to britney doing satisfaction and i must say that i feel like i have the flu now.
    maybe it would sound better if she moaned a little more in it, damn i feel sick

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I've been lucky enough to avoid both Spears, Bolton and 4 Non Blondes, but I was unfortunate to hear John Farnham's cover of "It's a long way to the top" (AC/DC). Not sure if the masses see it as a classic or not, but that was so lame.

But some things my former band tried to pull off beats everything else... ;)

6. That's easy. Devo's "Beautiful World" as covered by Rage Against the Machine, and I'm a fan of Rage, too. From that same Rage album, their cover of Afrika Bambaataas' "Renegades of Funk" is extremely cool.

7. spoolie

spoolie

Nov 30, 2000
    This one goes way back but Joan Baez singing "The Night They Drove Ol' Dixie Down" - Levon could make you cry, Joan turned it into a white-college-girl-hootnanny song.

8. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    I heard on the radio a dance/bebop/whatever version of Gordon Lightfoot's "If you could read my mind".... yeah... Gordon Lightfoot and dance.. hmmmmm.

Which, if you haven't heard "If you could read my mind", I highly reccomend it!

9. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I do like the Foo Fighters, but I thought their version of Pink Floyd's "Have a Cigar" was pretty awful.

10. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    "Life on Mars" by Barbara Streisand. (originally written and performed by David Bowie)

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    "Faith" by Korn Bisquick.

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Easy.

Every time I hear "American Pie" by Don McLean I feel like I'm going to cry.

Every time I hear "American Pie" by Madonna I feel like I'm going to cry for an entirely different reason.

13. Sting gutting all of the heart and passion out of "Little Wing."

14. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    American Pie----Madonna

Sweet child o'mine----Sheryl Crow ( the original was bad enough. Ten years later we had to relive it again!)

Sympathy for the Devil---GNR. :rolleyes:

Turn the Page------Metallica ( sorry, I just can't find it in my heart to like this version.)

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I can remember hearing some records by Mr. Spock and Captain Kirk from Star Trek - can't remember the actual tunes (although I 'm sure they were well-known)- but just remember thinking this is the worst thing I've ever heard. Maybe somebody else could provide details as this must win the prize!

16. The only thing that saved that song on the tribute album was the fact that Dave Navarro played the solo.
    Oh yeah,let's not foget Sheryl Crowe's version of Dyer Maker.Yuck!!(Don't get me wrong,I am a Crowe fan,but I didn't care for her rendition.)

17. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Actually, if you closed your eyes, it probably wasn't as bad a remake as Madonna's "American Pie." But watching the video made me want to immolate myself.

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...man; I totally dig that Gil Evans' arrangement.

How 'bout Tiffany doin' "I Saw Him Standing There"?

lump-
    Thanks, buddy, for reminding about 4 Non-Blondes(& "their rendition of "Misty Mountain Hop").

19. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    About two years ago, I saw a boy/girl band bludgeon Stand By Me to death - terrible harmonies, and they even got rid of the bassline! AAAHHHH! :mad:

However, I used to be in a band that played covers, and I think I've got our version of Dear Prudence somewhere - if you ever heard it, this thread would be killed straight away!

20. Maybe closing my eyes AND ears would do the trick.Will the butchering ever end?!