the worst thing that could happen to a bassist

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by x15, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Yah!

49 vote(s)
  2. Nope!

73 vote(s)
  1. x15

Feb 4, 2003
    New Delhi, India
    imagine:- you're playin with your band, the drummers gone insane, the leads wild and so are you! and then out of no where, a potentially disastrous thought crosses your mind-"i wonder how much of a difference does my bass line make to this song!" and a second later a physical manifestation of this thought shows up and you pause playing, and everything- sounds the same.

-ofcourse you shout out "gimme some f***** amplification!!!!!!!!!!"

2. Can't say that it has.
    I don't think I'd ever pause - I'd just think it, keep playing, 'cause all wanna do is play, whether I'm heard or not.
    Hey, you could be the pianist, who couldn't be heard even if you pulled out the bass amp from the wall.
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'd say the worst thing that could happen to a bassist... aside from the worst thing that could happen to any human, is the loss of his or her hands.
  4. x15

Feb 4, 2003
    New Delhi, India

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Your words confuse me good sir.
  6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I think he saw someone use that somewhere else, and just had to use it. Sorta like I wanted to say "Like, whatever" after watching clueless.
  7. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    *sniff* [​IMG] You've grasped the nature of TRUE evil

I'll go now [​IMG]
  8. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    the worst thin that can happen would be to brea the E or A sting on stage and have nothing a as a backup

9. The worst thing that could happen to a bassist, is if he/she woke up one morning - and wanted to play FLUTE!! nothing but flute :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
  10. Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    The said bassist's drummer moves in with him?;)
  11. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Worst thing that ever happened to me was having my '74 Gibson Eb3 stolen.
    That was even worse than finding the drummer above in your bed...
    They have formed their own 4-H club - the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history.
    Spiro T. 'Nolo Contendre' Agnew [ former VP of the US ] and alliterative scoundrel.
  12. Hey, shaddup, I played flute for eight years! I've actually been thinking about picking it up again too, but focusing on jazz rather than all the classical symphonic and marching band stuff I played in school. Certainly wouldn't be a bass replacement, but I would see it as expanding my horizons as a musician. :spit:

EDIT: Weird, I tried to put another spitting smiley there, but I got an error message saying I had too many images in the post! I had no idea there was a limit, but apparently there is...and it's 5!
  13. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I played in a band where I was always taking the blame for the low end getting too boomy when we the point where the low frequencies were drowning almost everything else out.

I told them it wasn't me. I said that it was the acoustic guitar player's ax feeding back into his amp. He was the one complaining the most. We stopped after a song and he yelled at me (loud enough for the entire crowd to hear through the PA) to "TURN DOWN YOUR DAMN BASS!!!"

Since I knew it was his guitar I turning my bass volume completely off...I mean as in NO volume coming from me whatsoever...not onstage, not through the PA...absolutely nothing. I just played "air bass" for about the last 8 songs of the set.

Of course we still had the feedback with the low frequencies. After the set, during the break, he got all pissy with me again and I told him and the entire band that I played the whole last part of the set volume-less and was only faking playing.

My drummer acknowledged it by saying he couldn't hear me at all. Turned out to be exactly what I thought, it was the guitar player's acoustic feeding back...but of course no apologies from the guitar player after "we" fixed it. Geez!!!
  14. Eclypsyr

May 7, 2003
    heck yea, I have played flute at my highschool for a good 7-8 years now. Its fun, but I like my bass more.

- Jon

:spit: :bassist:
  15. It is horrible to stop playing and no one notices but I have a better one. Sometimes when I thought no one heard me or just wasn't listening, I would play a half step off and see who would notice. The worst part is that a couple of times the other guys said with all seriousness, "Wow, I think that's the best we've ever played that song!" Needless to say I was depressed that no one heard me. Most of the other times at least one guy would notice.
  16. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    The worst thing would be if the wife/girfriend/partner ran off with the accordian player ........ :eek:
  17. stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    story: a year after i started playing (just cuase thats the way i am) i started to think what would happen to me if i lost one of my hands much less both of them, i would never be able to play again what then this is all i could ever think of doing after i turned 15, nothing nothing else makes sence then doing this for the rest of my life (i would kill myself )

and yes im proud to say i stoped playing in the mid. of a song not even thinking about it and im half sad and half happy to say the people dident notice i was made a second later the guitarest turned around still playing and he had "where the hell did you go dude come on get up" and i snaped out of it :D and :spit:
  18. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    drummer would be just as bad:D

19. Woodsey

Woodsey Guest

That happened to me in my first ever gig with my band when i was a wee 14 year old. I broke my A and didnt have any back up. I played to the end of the set trying to cover for it on my E. Then in the interval i found a mate in the audiance who played bass and lived nearby and he brought me his bass.