The worst year of your life?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Aug 4, 2005.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

What would you say was the worst year of your life thus far and if you feel comfortable enough share what made it so bad.
  2. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
  3. dude your street cred is a dead link
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    For me it would be 1994. In August of 1992, I turned 21. I am not proud of the following account, and somewhat embarassed to share it. Here is some background....

I did not drink much right after I turned 21. Then, I began this overwhelming obsession with drinking mass quantities of alcohol in mid 1993. I am a big man, so people naturally looked to me at parties as the guy who could drink the most. I did not disappoint. The trend continued into early 1995 before it finally stopped. March 1995 to be exact, when I met the woman I ended up marrying. She plainly told me to pick her, or the booze. I feel I chose wisely when I picked her.

I chose 1994 because it was right on the middle of it all. I was pretty much drunk four or five days a week. Anything I did involved alcohol. My low point was going to my little sisters wedding with a major hangover. I knew I had to stop, but it was too much fun. Since I could still function at work, and at home with no problems, I had zero motivation to stop. When I started losing my memory I realized I needed to stop. Before I started drinking, I had the ultimate photographic memory. What sucks is that my memory is perfect up until I turned 21. From 21 until I was 25 is a huge blur.

That's my pathetic story of the worst year of my life. Thanks for reading. The only thing that will beat that out is when my father or mother die.

Thank you for sharing Mike and i am glad things turned around for you.
  6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    How can ya ask us about ours without first sharing yours? That's not quite fair now is it? :eyebrow:
  7. Hard to say. Some years in high school definitely bit, but probably the most trying was 2004. I was working what can easily be considered the worst job for my situation, and possibly the worst job ever (next to human claymore tester). My father had a massive heart attack and nearly kicked the ol' oxygen habit and my mother found out she had cancer that fall. Lucky for me (and my family and parents), all of those situations are as fixed as they can be. Woooooooooo!!! THAT was a fun trip down memory lane.

8. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    2001. I live 4 blocks from Ground Zero.

It would honestly take to long to explain.
  10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Mine took a while, and I left lots out. Joe Nerve has never been known to post brief thoughts. :)

11. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003

Where to begin? After a 2 year separation, my divorce went through. That was just about the hardest thing I ever had to do.

Had the window of my truck smashed out & radio stolen at work. 2 days later I had my truck repossessed at a bar, in the middle of a snow storm. I broke my hand that night. (Don't ask) About 2 days after that, I found out that the company I worked for was closing it's doors. I was fired at the end of the week. I was drinking every night.....heavily. Jobless, broke & drunk all the time, the final straw was losing my apartment. Kicked out on valentines day!!!

Man, I HATED 1995!!!
  12. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    but that was the year after super metroid came out! :hyper:

13. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    first half-ish of 2003.
  14. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    1993... It was year i saw so many people for last time in my life... a lot of kids my age that i knew are gone now some of my family is gone as well... and last time i saw them was 12 years ago even though some died very recently... for those who remained a life It would be 9 more years to get to see them again... including my grandparents again... some for last time... few of my family passed away in those 9 years with a chance for me to say anything or even to visit their graves...

93 diffenatly been a changing year... it was one of the best and one of the worse...
  15. my life is a rollercoaster and i have my ups and downs, so i dont think there is any one year that has outsucked the others.

this year i guess would be worse than the rest as far as sucking is concerned, and ive developed a fairly bad drinking problem. looking back tho its been a bit of a blast. its hard to call for me.

i always enjoy these kind of threads - often very inspiring.
  16. 95, best friend suicide, and 2004, culmination of years of debt and alchoholism/drug abuse related mental problems, despite sobriety, lost house, car, sold most of my gear, almost got fired, but resigned instead, lived with/off of friends and strained relationships,
    Best year of my life, 2005, signed up for college for this fall, completely changed out of the rut I was in for the last 5 or 6 years , having a great time working part time jobs with no responsibility until school starts, away from destructive people and things, and all debts are almost reconciled. Also, have better gear now than what I had before :)
  17. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    2002, definitely. Doesn't come even close to any of the previous experiences, but it really messed me up. I'm just now starting to move forward from that year.
  18. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    This year.

-Girlfriend of 3 years broke up with me. She's still trying the 'lets be best friends' thing after 3's not working. Reason for breaking up? She's turned 25 and it frightened her. We've been together for 3 years and it frightened her. She admits none of it makes any sense.

- My sister was pregnant, gave birth 3 months prematurely. 5+ months and counting the baby's still in intensive care, and still fighting every day. It's touch and go everyday. She's been in poor health from the birthing and from the stress of working full time and commuting to the hospital before and after work every day for over 5 months.

-My mom had double knee replacement surgery in January, after going from perfectly active to immobile in 2 months time. The surgery really took a toll on her putting her into a depressive tail spin which lasted for 6 months. I used every vacation day, sick day or day off to go home and make sure she was still alive. For a while we considered moving her to an assisted living facility.

-My Dog Died.

Need more? Try this...

-as of last week, the lead singer of my band (for 5 years) has given her 6 months notice.

If you dont mind sharing what was it that pushed your freind over the edge?.
  20. Worst years of my life, I'm only 18 so I have more ahead of me. Mainly its the childhood I had with my sister. I love her and we're great now but back then she was a mean bitch to me. Picked on my weight and other things to the point where I was a 7 year old comtiplating suicidial thoughts. My mother and father also getting divorced idn't help. Then there is the fact my dad denies ANy abuse whether physical or verbal towards me, which is bull, but he's still my father ...

Fastforward, I'm starting college Sept. 1st, lost 35 pounds in about 6-7 months and I'm romantically involved with a lady who's probably going to be my new girlfriend.