The Year is almost over!:Trends I could have done without

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Against Will, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Finals are over, I need to blow off some steam, in the form of whining. Most of my petty squabbles are the result of being around to many pretentiously hip people, and being cut off from much of the rest of the music world in general, as such these trends may not be as pervasive as I make them sound.

Perhaps I am being to hasty, but I can save any fodder not on here for nexts year's list.

1)Trucker hats: Was I the only one who always thought they were stupid? I have yet to see a single person rock the trucker's hat without looking even a little goofy. Its goofiness rose to the state of surrealism when people like Beyonce and Justin Timberlake started wearing them with their prissy-fits

2) Tragic Hipsterdom: For some reason, a number of individuals I know believe that a band's quality is inversely related to the size of their fan base. Way to kill original music.

3)"Relevant Music" :A number of my colleagues at the radio station I work at here seem to be obsessed over the "relevance" of music they listen to. For some reason, retro-pop/neo-new-wave (yes, I'm aware how redundant that is) and 3rd rate basement rock contain an "urgency" that funk and ska bands just cannot hope to possess. While I realize that some bands do have a sense of immediacy and "relevance" to their sound, many of the people I've talked with like to fashion themselves as the "new wave of rock critics" and thus throw words like that around as if they were superballs. Isn't the relevance of a group's sound determined in part by the listener, as well as the spirit of the group?

4) "Too Cool for you" attitudes: When I went to see Mike Watt a few months ago, one of the opening bands was a group called the Greenhornes. Apparently they're from the Detroit area, and from what I've read recently they're "up-and-coming" and on the verge of becoming critical darlings. As Flavor Flav once stated to eloquently: "Don't believe the hype", they, and much of their ilk are crap bands. They're live show, or lack thereof, was complete shizen. They banged out lame Stooges covers as well as a plethora of originals that were Stooges knock-offs. That was the think that got my goat (so to speak) though, it was their "cooler-than-thou" boredom that sent a clear message to the audience that they should thank their maker they have the privileage of seeing them play. This particular quibble is indicative of a growing trend. The heart of a good band, is still based in its ability to put on a good show, not a well groomed ego.

5)Crap beer: In relation to "Tragic Hipsterdom", just because Pabst spends zilch on advertising, doesn't make it good. It still tastes like sewage water, I don't care if it's cheap, I don't care if it's hip. You get what you pay for and scene points are a dime a dozen.

Whew, I feel better already.
  2. 2, 3, and 4 have been around for years, and everything that can possibly be said in ska and funk has been said anyway. ;)

I sure do hate trucker hats, though. Ever since I first saw some punks from Albany wearing them, I knew they were bad mojo.
  3. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    people willingly drink pabst? :barf:

why wouldn't - if you were drinking a beer because of it's indie-ness - you buy a local brew which at least has a chance of not tasting like licking a urinal?!
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Wearing music shirts...

Hot Topic started carrying Fender shirts, so everyone was wearing them... then... ya. that sucked.
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    1) WiFi "Hot Spots"

2) Cross-border me, this would be across the USA border.

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    • 80s fashion
    • pop idols
    • teenagers getting cosmetic surgery
    • ghost-writer-written (minor) celebrity autobiography

I can't think of more right now, but there are...
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    JMX......nice call on the teenage plastic surgery....i thought of that one as well

9. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    ugh, "trendy" girls wearing leggings and converse.
    NO. JUST NO.

You're not farrah fawcett and it's not 1985 so just stop it.
  10. Are these the hats that have one white panel at the front and the rest is like plastic wire stuff? If they are agree with you there

Not just related to music or bands at the school i go to...people just think because they are classed as "popular" that they are better than everyone else and can treat other people (my group of people) like crap and talk to us like crap...this is the one thing that really annoys me anout our school...we're 17 or 18 now cant we just cut the crap and all get along

Yes...grrr these annoy me...just had Aussie Idol completed here and now there ads for next year we are getting World Idol, Aussie Idol 2, American Idol 3 plus Popstars live on another channel...i dont understand how you could want to win a competition that will make your sing songs that are written for you and are in the genre that is popular at the time

Wow good thread its always good to look back on a year and get all the anger out of you
  11. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Pedophilia (think about it)

Jeans that are so low that you can see pubes in the front and crack in the back...why do women (and some men) think this is attractive??

Showing thong straps in conjunction with said low jeans. (thankfully this seems to be over for the most part)

Paris Hilton (more specifically - seeing pictures of Paris Hilton with that goofy hat cocked sideways on the cover of every magazine in the grocery line)

Partisanship to the point of being ludicrous

Al Franken

Bill O'Reilly

Everything being "gay" (I work with middle school students so you may not see that as much, or maybe you do)

brad cook
  12. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    Yes...the up and coming trend of peadophilia :confused:

I think it's kind of cute when the stupid emo guys have their boxers hanging out. :oops:
  13. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA

Yep, this one is gonna hurt....
  14. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Ok, I guess implication isn't enough. I'll connect the dots...

Maybe some of this was last year but what I meant was I'm tired of seeing headlines involving famous people and pedophilia (*deleted*, Pete Townsend, Michael Jackson, Mike Gordon...not that all these people were or are guilty but they've been in the headlines for it...).

brad cook

Edit: Oh I meant to say R. Kelly, not apologies to Usher and Usher fans.. Also add Scott Ritter to the list.
  15. Jeans with holes pre-ripped in them and stains, for that "worn in" look. Also, clothes with graffiti tag writing all over them. They look stupid.

People who wear clothes that you wore 2 years ago (and you used to get called a "goth" for wearing them), and make them fashionable, i.e sweatbands, Converse shoes, baggy pants etc. This also applies to piercings and tattoos.

Fashions shops selling AC/DC and Kiss t-shirts, and loads of stupid Spiceboys (or Trendies, depends where ya from) wearing them, while listening to their minidisc of Scouse House music.

Nu-Metal bands...all just stop.

Avril look-a-alikes at every punk show you go to, with their mesh back hats and spiky belts, and ties over their t-shirts...***??!?

Magazines calling anything thats not harcore punk "emo"...for Pete's sake, bands like No Use For A Name are NOT emo. From Autumn To Ashes? Emo? I think someone needs to go back and listen to the damn record.

Colin Farrell. What a tosser that man is. Spouting about how "hard" he is, and his "bad boy" reputation. I DON'T CARE IF YOU HAVE GOT IT ON WITH BRITNEY!!!

*End of rant* phew, I feel much better now. ;)
  16. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    trend n.:
    1. A general tendency or inclination.

2. Current style; vogue: the latest fashion

Yes, these suspected paedophiles might have commited these crimes because of the trend. They did it to be fashionable and to fit in with their paedophile friends.

17. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Reality TV - I just don't see the infatuation with watching somone else's drama. I have enough of my own to deal with, thanks.

Pop/punk - Is that not the Oxymoron of the century??

Clearchannel - I originally posted this as "nu-metal," but after thinking about it a bit... it's not the music that irritates me so much, it's the oversaturated state of rock radio stations. I haven't listened to radio in over 3 years, and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Spoilers on a Cutlass Supreme - I mean.. come on. It seems like every third car I see these days has a rear wing attached. Doesn't matter what kind of car... Beemer, GTI, minivan!... the taller the better right?! and be sure to paint it a different color than the rest of the car, God forbid anyone miss it at first glance.

Politics - ... yeah. I'm pretty much over it all.

Oh.. and Spongebob.
  18. wakizashi

Dec 5, 2003
    I call 'em preps Mr.Zebraface. They're f@#$%$g preps. I know what you mean. I dress in chains, spikes, etc... to scare the crap out of them. But know punk is becoming popular and they are not freaked anymore. It sucks the a$$ monkey. But what the hell am I supposed to do. I'm gonna have to find something else to rebel against the posers. But they'll eventually think its cool becaus they have no mind for them selves.

Trends I HATE this year.

(1)Abercrombie and B&#$h.
    (2)Preps dressing like me and my friends after being rediculed for years and now they think its cool(suprise, suprise).

Kill 'em All:bassist:
  19. Not really a trend but: Friends who won't come out to do stuff because they're "tired from work"...being pencil-pushers and all.

And when they do come out, they don't want to do anything new or fun.