1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The "Yes, That's My Dinky Amp Onstage And Proud Of It" Club--Nothing bigger than 100w and 115 or 210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JimmyM, Jun 29, 2019.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Time to get a picture thread of our dinky amps in usage onstage! Look, I love a good big amp with some wattage as much as anyone alive. I have played through the giant SVT and nearly wept at its beauty.

Nancy Me Giant SVT.

But I have rocked some dinky-ass amps with bands you wouldn't think I'd be able to handle with a dinky amp, some using only the amp to cover the entire room, and have never had a problem representing and always sounded pretty great if I say so myself. It's not that I don't have dinky rigs with some serious power. I do. But I get a special perverse warm fuzzy out of taking it to the limit with the dinky. And I know I'm not the only one, so let's hear your stories and see your pics!

Here are the qualifications for joining the Dinky club:

---No amp or head can be over 100w RMS, so no super micros.

---No cab can be bigger than a 210, 112, or 115.

---Post a pic of it onstage, list its basic specs, and talk about how you use it, maybe a funny gig story or two...but please don't post a pic with no backstory.

---NO AMPLESS RIGS!!!

---I'm not handing out numbers. What do you use them for, anyway? You post a pic and story, you're in.

I'll get the ball rolling after this post. I've got several entries but I'll space them out over time so folks don't think I'm spamming for my brand. And I'll even be showing off a non-Ampeg or two as well. All brands and amp classes are, of course, welcome. Just don't post your 1000w 108 combo and claim ultimate dinkyness or we will mercilessly poke fun at your lame attempt to be as cool as us. Smaller numbers rule the Dinky Club.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    konfyouzd, boodakon, zenrad and 22 others like this.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    First entry for me in the Dinky Club is a brand new shot of my least dinky qualifying amp. Ampeg BA112 v2 combo with 75w and a 112. I am a tube snob, but when the weather calls for a torrential rainstorm at any time, and especially if I'm playing outside, this amp usually gets the call. Goes plenty loud enough onstage for any band I've played with in the last 5 years, and I can carry smaller rooms with it if I crank the bass knob a bit. Biggest I've done is 300, and while we weren't Metallica, we were playing dance tunes with a horn section and we weren't quiet. Tonight's gig was smaller all around. Fun little band with guitar, bass, drums and harmonica playing mostly light rock with a little country and blues. Carrying the room was a piece of cake.

09 P BA112 v2.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Might as well take my next entry to its most extreme...this is my smallest dinky amp...Ampeg BA108 v1 combo, 25w with a 108 cab. It's been modded with an Eminence Alpha 8a because I blew the original speaker cranking the bass knob and fuzz one night. It's the only bass speaker I have ever blown in 46 years of playing bass. Fortunately it was the end of the night and I was only using it as a stage monitor. The Alpha 8a is a little heavier, but it's got really high power handling and unblowable in this amp, even with fuzz. But I can only use it as a monitor with full electric bands on small stages, and I have to crank it a little into the dirt zone to pull it off. But it usually sounds pretty clean in a mix. It's way more suited to acoustic music in small venues if you're going to bust it out without going through the PA. Biggest gig I ever did with it filling the house was outdoors for about 100 people playing upright. I actually had a little bit of headroom left on that one, too!

BA108.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    OK, so how about some Hartke action? I was supplied this amp for a 50's-60's oldies show in NYC hosted by Bowzer from Sha Na Na in 2013. One of the original Hartke Kickback 12's (EDIT: turns out it's a Kickback 15), 120w with a 112 (EDIT: 115) cab. A little overqualified for dinkiness with the wattage, but the very crackly knobs made up for it. It was nearly impossible to keep it from crackling occasionally through soundcheck and rehearsal, but somehow or another, it stopped during the show and actually sounded pretty decent. Very uncool of the promoter of a fairly big oldies show to consider a crackly old near-dinky amp to be acceptable backline, but nobody else would go on strike on my behalf, so I dealt with it and only whined a little. In the end it all came together, but it gave me a good scare.

BacklineQC-07-27-13.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'll edit to add a pic later. (On vacation without my computer).

I have done quite a few gigs with an Ashdown LB30 (30W) head and a Euphonic Audio VL-210. I have played this rig on the ground as well as putting it up on a mixer stand so that the top 10 is right at my shoulder blades.

The looks on people's faces when they find out it's only 30W is priceless! And the volume I have gotten is amazing. The line out is a tap off the output transformer. An HPF is about all I put in front of it and it's ready to go.

rickdog, ErikP.Bass, JimmyM and 4 others like this.
  6. PaulCISSA

PaulCISSA Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Northest New Jersey
    OK, I’ll play. I drag this one out every month for a regular gig in an old lake community bar that was once a clubhouse. A log-built clubhouse. Now quite the busy watering hole but the configuration of the building is weird and the band gets shoe-horned into a corner space usually occupied by a few patron tables. It really deserves a short-scale bass to go with it.

76E7DA69-A151-4FAC-9039-11E3C1F8A956.

7. PaulCISSA

PaulCISSA Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Northest New Jersey
    Those EA VL’s are stupid-level efficient! Nice cabinets.

8. Last month I got a call from a drummer buddy to do a guitar trio at a local street festival. I said how loud/big should I go? He said, just bring a little combo I’ll put you in the sub. So I brought a trusty old grey/silver Roland Bass Cube 40 and ran him a line out. I’ll be darned if it didn’t sound pretty great. I stood in front of the Cube but the Sub was on the other side of or setup. It did sound good to me, but both the guys commented on how much really they dug it.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  9. I have one of these! It used to do my bluegrass gigs, but now he's been banished to the rehearsal room. Sadly no pic of the lil guy in action.

FB_IMG_1561805761574.
    Here's my current combo, ready for a winery gig. Rumble 100; 100w, 12", 22lbs! (On the upper limits of the specs for this game, but a "small practice amp" by TB standards. ;) )

My drummer plays a cajon, and I always have PA line when needed- so this has been plenty. I've just added a tilt back wedge and a HPF, so hopefully I will get even more miles out of this dinky thing! :woot:

10. BlacknWhite

BlacknWhite Supporting Member

I dont have a pic of this one on stage yet but use it for chill gigs in small venues when we aren't pumping out the hard rock. It's a '70s Kustom V Bass combo. One 12 at a whopping 35 watts (sounds way louder). It is as basic as it gets. Volume, bass, treble and 2 inputs.
    20190217_195328.
    The second isn't mine but I had to post it because it is the smallest (size not wattage) amp I have ever used live haha. The trace Elliott that was provided as backline showed up dead. So the bassist in the other band ran out to his car and pulled this out of his trunk. It was a Traynor small bloc 110. Its 120 watts but we were covering stuff like Tool, STP, and godsmack that night so I could just barely hear myself. Was just enough there i could get through my parts haha. Just look at that little guy!
    20190629_070631.

portpc, boodakon, BassCliff and 10 others like this.
  11. mindwell

mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    Roland Bass Cube is a terrific amp. I had a really old one in silver tolex. GREAT tones.

xroads64, JohnN, chupacerveza and 5 others like this.
  12. This show was supposed to be a backlined show. There was an 18" EBS that was dead and the Ashdown ABM also messed up. The Elf has always been in my gig bag since purchase, mainly used for rehearsals. We drove down to our studio and grabbed my (albeit giant) 2x10. I know the Elf is above the allowed power ratings.. but it sure is dinky!!
    Elf on shelf.JPG

13. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I'll third that!

Samatza, chupacerveza and Dave Orban like this.
  14. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    Not to derail, but tell us about the bass in that photo.....

15. BlacknWhite

BlacknWhite Supporting Member

The bass in the top pic is a "78 Music man Stingray. Loved the sound but wasn't a fan of the neck or body (comfort wise not looks). So I turned it into the bass in the 2nd which is a pbass with maple neck and the pickup and pre amp out of the Stingray. Then eventually added one more pickup and changed the body to a black P bass. It's been quite the transformation.
    inCollage_20190629_083231918.

16. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

alas, this is another club i cannot be a member of --- my rig is too light for heavy work and it's too heavy for light work! :laugh:

17. H2okie

H2okie

Jan 30, 2014
    Jacksonville, FL
    Gk1x10. Part of my setup as a monitor. I have been amazed at how often it gets used as THE bass channel for small to mid venues. I’ve had it cranked to 11 and if I set my pregain ok it does not fart out. This is right at 100W. Do I make it under the wire? 96FB3AD6-56D6-47DD-8888-E24AD7D3D007.

18. My TE Elf rig at a large bar/restaurant in Toronto.

The head is about the size of a pocket paperback, and the speaker is a single 10.

I don't consider this a super-micro rig because I own a PJ Double-Four... lol... I also question the true output of the head, it's probably closer to 100 watts RMS. The 200watt rating is likely not RMS for this head. There's more than enough DSP in there keeping it loud.

This little kit gets a lot of questions. Especially since it all fits in a bag. On my way out of a gig downtown someone asked me who I was delivering food for.

IMG_4960.

19. I can't remember the model number of the amp. but about ten years ago, I was hired as a fill-in bassist for a large church's Christmas program. The Minister of Music was an old high school bandmate (both school and otherwise). I was told the amp would be provided. We had a quick run-through in the music rehearsal room: 30-pc orchestra augmented by your traditional piano/organ as well as the drummer, guitarists, and two keyboardists from their "praise band", a choir of 60-plus voices. Huge production! The bass amp in that room was a GK 400RBIII 210 combo, so I wasn't worried about what would be in the sanctuary. About an hour before the start of the performance/service, we made our way to the sanctuary. This was the third or fourth performance of the season, so there was no need for a full sound-check. I get to my position in the pit and look down and my heart fell. Down by my feet was a tiny little older Traynor bass amp with a 12" speaker. The guitarist next to me must have seen the look on my face because he said with a smile "Don't worry. It's plenty." And it was! We in the band all had IEMs for monitoring (mostly vox and a click) and our instruments were all DI'd into the FOH, but that little amp kept my pants leg flapping and it had plenty of volume for monitoring purposes. After the show, I turned it around and was surprised to discover that it was only rated at 50w.

chupacerveza likes this.
  20. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    Ampeg 36 x 10
    Ampeg36x10.