The "You Suck!" lady.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by manwiththedogs, Nov 13, 2004.

1. She made an appearance at last nights gig. I`m sure some of you know her...drunk off her ass and screaming requests, insults, and various gibberish for a solid hour. During a break, she comes up to our table and asks to see a song list, she picks two songs (that we had played in the last so I say, sure, we`ll play em for you next set. That seemed to appease her, and she spent the rest of the evening falling down on the dance floor. Anyone got any stories about encounters with this person or any of her relatives? :rollno:
  2. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    At last night's gig we took 15 and went outside to cool down. Two incredibly drunk Red Sox fans (brothers of the "You Suck" lady) immediately appropriated a mic and began a rendition of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame." Our sound tech graciously let them finish before blasting them with some very vile feedback from the monitors. You should have seen them jump!
  3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    She was at a gig of ours a few years ago, telling us to play country, and that we sucked. She turned to walk away, and fell flat on her face.
  4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yeah, she came to a couple of our gigs too. :D

Once she came with her boyfriend, and she insisted on getting on stage and singing some Led Zepplin songs. The only reason we didn't mind is 'cause her boyfriend was drunk too, and he kept loading the tip jar with hundred dollar bills, so all's well that end's well. :hyper:

The other time she pushed me backwards over a floor monitor, and I ended up playing the rest of Highway Star flat on my back. No tips that time, but lots of pats on the back. :bassist:
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    She and her relatives have been to almost every bar gig i've ever played. And I've played a lot of them. :p
  6. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, she shows up every now and then. Her whole clan can be a real chore to deal with. There's her husband/boyfriend who can't seem to decide whether he should try to quiet her down or pick a fight with anyone who doesn't see things her way. There's her brother, who doesn't drink quite as much, but who isn't going to stop coming up to the bandstand to make requests until he can think of at least one song that you can play. There's her cousin who wants to talk about your gear, who obviously last visited a music store in 1984. Then there's the uncle, who is older and mostly harmless, but patently insane. You can tell he's related by the fact that he won't leave you alone, either. If he does leave you alone, he will still manage to scare 90% of the women off the dance floor.

What a family! :p :rollno:
  7. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    She and her drunken friend were at our last gig too.. They really get around. They were drunk before our first set; I was sitting at a table looking over our song list, they both insisted on leaning all over me with their whiskey breath. I wouldn't have minded so much if they were hot young babes, but these were a couple of the fattest, ugliest, most obnoxious
    trolls I'd ever seen. I was nauseated. They kept yelling stupid requests for songs at us, I had to turn my amp at an angle, and move closer to the middle of the stage so I wouldn't have to look at them.

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ive had them at my shows before too. Luckily the last time she was there she was a hot punk rock chick who ended up loving us by the end of the set. :)
  9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Here's a tip. You have a microphone, they don't ;)
  10. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I see her and her male relatives mostly at wedding gigs. God, I hate wedding gigs! :mad:
  11. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Yeah, my old drummer ended up at a gig with another band I was in. Who started heckling the first band, then proceeded to constantly yell out things like "bring on the next band, I wanna hear Troll play" (quote is correct :) Then left after the first song... Being under house arrest for DUI's and all...

And you wonder why he's an 'ex' drummer...

12. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    She used to come to my gigs all the time.
    I finally told her:
    "Mom, stay home!":p
  13. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    I think we have all had her and her family at our gigs before.

This past Friday I had her scary biker sister at my gig.
    We are in the middle of our set, I look up and see this ummm, "woman" standing right in front of me. She is at least 6' tall and weights well over 200 lbs. She has the leather vest zippered very low to show her cleavage, and of course, her stomach is very prominently protruding out between her vest and pants. Lots of tatoos. She is staring at me, making I guess what would be considered come on faces at me, and is dancing to our music. I dont care all that much, she likes the music, thats cool.

Well, after the set I am dying of thirst, I go up to bar to get a beer, low and behold, she is one the bartenders. I ask for the beer, she then proceeds to reach across the bar and stroke my beard and tells me to smile! I quickly got my beer, excused myself, then went and packed up the gear and got out without looking back. She was a scary woman.
  14. $100's?! now thats what I call a good gig:)
  15. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!

whatsamatter vegaas, you afraid of raw sexuality? :D
  16. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Sounds like an overly large dose of raw "sexuality". ;)
  17. Yeah, we too had to deal with her at a wedding gig last summer. She kept on stepping on the tiny stage, and she stepped on the lead guitarist's cable, which unplugged him causing a loud buzz to come out of his amp right in the middle of a song. :rollno:

Her husband (well, I figured he was her husband, although I have a hard time imagining anyone tolerating such an annoying person 24 hours a day) had to drag her down from the stage two or three times. Then she went to sleep and the gig went well from then on. :p

P.S.: If my own wedding was being ruined by some drunken idiot, I think I'd kill!!! :mad:
  18. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah, they always want to come up to the singer while he's singing to make a request.It's like, excuse me, I'm a little busy here, could you please ask the guitar player over there who's watching televison instead of me.What do you expect from a hog, but a grunt.That's what I was told anyway.
  19. well, as mitch hedberg always says, "you can't please all the people all the time, and and last night, all those people were at my show!"

my band has done that as well. we are kind of a blues/metal/rock/alt/jam band all mixed into one, and we played a punk rock festival. yikes...apparently it was the "you suck" lady and a whole family reunion, because these were kids with the pink hair and the leather jackets and they all have the t-shirts that either say "nintendo" or "you laugh at me because i'm different, but i laugh at you because you're all the same" on. here is a small representation of our part of the show:

:bassist: :bassist: <-thats me and my guitarist
    :meh: :confused: :eyebrow: :rollno: :confused: :eyebrow:

and that was the crowd...there isn't an icon for drummer, so i left him out.

well, at least we still got paid!