1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Zen of bass from THE BASS GUITAR AS A MODE OF BEING

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by JKAG, Sep 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. JKAG

JKAG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN
    Don't know if this is the best place to post this or if it is a repost. It seems, though cover band specific, a mantra for those of us who like to stand in the back and just play the bass.

What the cover bands of America need are better bass players, bass players who aren’t there because they could only get a gig playing bass, bass players who aren’t secretly gunning for the guitar player’s spot, bass players who don’t resent their role as bass players. The cover bands of America need players who stand in the shadows proudly, players who live for the shadows, players who escape the light before the applause can start, bass players like Navy Seals, indispensable and unseen, wearing night goggles, bass players who are there to make the singer sound good, make the song sound good, make even the guitar player sound good. Bass players who submit themselves to the instrument and quit trying to find the reward. Bass players who don’t sit in the library all afternoon staring at their computer, thinking: what does it mean that I am 35 years old, that my life has come to this, that I am just a bass player?
    The Bass Guitar as a Mode of Being by Barrett Hathcock

2. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    I can't speak for others, but I for one thoroughly love and enjoy being the bass player and wouldn't trade it for any other spot in the band. I'm proud of what I do.