Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Zon neck: smooth vs. satin finish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jerry J, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I know that I've read some discussion about this in the past but I couldn't turn anything up in a search specifically related.

I know the early Zon necks were fairly smooth and eventually Joe went to a satin finish.

- Are there any pros/cons about either the smooth or satin finish?
    - Did the change in finish of the neck indicate any other changes made to the neck.

- When did the change occur

2. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I thought you could get both these days. I guess some people like the gloss, but it makes my hand stick slightly when moving around, so I highly prefer the satin finish.

3. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    I guess some like the bowling ball feel of the gloss. But I really like the satin. If you close your eyes and run your hand over the back of the neck you will almost think it's a tung oil finished wood neck.

4. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i have both gloss and satin on a couple of Zon fretlai.

i'm partial to the satin, but have a warm spot for the gloss.

huh?

f

5. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    No kidding? The smooth finish is still an option?

When did the satin finish become available?

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    my fretless has a satin finish on the neck- just took it to a gig yesterday ( jazz quartet playing standards) and gave all my disclaimers about intonation before i plugged it in- wound up playing 2 of the three sets on it - it was requested by the other guys in trhe band after they heard it the first set--- :) so i guess i wasn't so bad...
    anyways, the bass amazes me- 34 in scale, great tone and playability- these are truly some fine instruments--- my choice would be satin because it feels so darn good----
    ZON basses.. thumbs up!!! :bassist:

7. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.

hmm, not sure.

my gloss fretless was from several years ago.

i bet Joe would do both.

f

8. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    satin. other finishes make my hands stick to the neck.

9. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    my favorite fretless EVER!!!

glad the Z is workin' for ya Adrian!!!

f

10. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I have heard of the gloss finishes with Zon necks, but I have never seen one. I was under the assumption that the older Zon's had the gloss necks. I figured that all the new ones that are being made have the satin finish since that's all that I see out there at the dealers near me. I've had the gloss Modulus necks and really wasn't a fan of them, so I defintley prefer the satin.

11. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    The gloss finish would be like the finish on my '69 Jazz neck, right? I've never found that to be sticky.

Would one be able make a smooth composite neck satin by using steel wool? I'm wondering if the neck is actually smooth out of the mold and then roughed up by some process?

12. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Satin is nice. I have satin finished neck on my Warmoth P and Zon Fretted and it does make a difference in stickiness.

Otherwise, I would also say that Joe's stuff is top notch and you could probably get him to build anything to your liking. I read an interesting article in the book American basses stating that Joe is very particualar about angles. Which is a huge part of Zon's tone and playability. I am very anxious to play his wooden necked creations! It looks as though he is braching off into some different areas now.

Isn't one line (tribute) over seas, and the other (pro) American?

Either way, I am sure they are awesome! Zons rule!