1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Zoom B3 is great...duh!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DonBorelli, Oct 2, 2013.

1. DonBorelli

DonBorelli

Feb 1, 2009
    I know I know...
    Not another thread about the B3. I apologize in advance.
    The thing is, I'm an analog-guy. Especially when it comes to overdrive, distortion etc.
    But wow - the Zoom B3 is very, very useable. The amp modelling is cool, but it sounds muddy infront of an amp (at least, that is my experience)
    I just like to use the B3 as a nice selection of stomp boxes.
    My main "pedalboard" looks like this Octave->Squeak->Chorus
    I've got all I need and I don' really feel I'm compromising on tone.
    And the thing is so small...and it has a great tuner!:)

Nice work, Zoom. But you probably already know that!

2. .
    Read through the Zoom B3 as Preamp thread.
    There's a solution to that in there. ;)

I also recommend you read through the Zoom B3 Multi-effects and Zoom B3 Patch Ideas threads as you find time.

There's a hell of a lot of reading in there, but there's also a hell of a lot of information too!

3. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Yup.

4. DonBorelli

DonBorelli

Feb 1, 2009
    Thanks for the link, dude. Interesting stuff!

It would be GENIUS if you could assign the cab simulation to the D.I. ONLY!
    And then run a "cab off" sound from the output to your amp.

5. Yup, when i got the B3 I struggled to find a layout that would allow me to keep an analog fuzz on board, both are now resting in the museum while the B3 gives me some Fuzz Face, BB, Bit Crush and JetPhase.

6. Rooster009

Rooster009

Feb 27, 2008
    Not knocking the B3, because it is a phenomenal pedal, but what you describe above is one of the many reasons I went with the Boss GT10b. The B3 is a great pedal though.

7. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    You should read the other B3 threads, I agree, but the answer to this is pretty simple. The amp modeling works best when you play it through a "hi-fi" audio system. Otherwise you are essentially playing one bass amp through another bass amp and that is unlikely to sound as good as either would alone! In my case I use the amp models with an old Peavey keyboard amp I use as my practice amp. The amp modeling works very nicely through that even though it probably stretches the definition of hi-fi quite a bit to call my KB100 a hi-fi amp! I don't actually have a B3, I have its little brother, the MS-60B. I think the one works about as well as the other except for the feature differences and I agree that they are very nice units.