Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Theatre gig - in the pit with him !!!!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by =^..^=, Feb 26, 2002.

1. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Just come back from my fourth night playing at our local theatre... If you ever get a chance to do it give it a go - its a real laugh !!!

Were doing "Return to the forbidden planet". There are lots of 60's numbers (which if I'm being honest I normally wouldn't touch with your 12 foot barge pole let alone mine...) but its playing so what the hell !

After years of playing in various gigs etc I finally had to learn to read music - which wasn't all that hard tbh, but when I arrived at the first rehearsal I found there were THREE keyboard playes on some numbers - mainly doubling my lines, so it was even easier. The only thing I dislike is that I can't turn the pages - I've had to write crib notes at the bottom of the pages telling me whats on the next page and when to turn it over....

Anyway your probably used to being the centre of attention when your band is playing. Here we are just incidental (although key to the performance) we are not why people are in the place - they are there to watch the play. But its great fun and the singers are really good. My favourite number of the night has to be "Go Now", but there's a whole song which has been written around slap bass (I kid you not) so I get to beat my E string to within an inch of its life !

We've got 4 nights left, and I'm going to miss it when we've finished - I'm gonna put my name down for the next show on saturday !

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Sounds great! I love doing theater... I've done three shows now and want to do more. It's really something when you have that many people working towards a common goal and to actually pull it off!

Have fun,

-robert

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    In the pit with who?

4. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Yeah I thought that when I read my own title.... I should have put it into quotes I guess

I meant more like "Throw him into the pit"

5. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    That sounds cool. A guy in my school's drama department is trying to do "Tommy" for the spring musical next year. If we do that, I'll be first in line to play the bass part.