1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Theatre" types

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    My girlfriend and I went to a play at my school (U Chicago) a few weeks ago. When we were finished watching it, the only word we could think of saying was "theatre" (say thea-tray). The play was one of those masterworks of modern art, you know, when at the end, you're wondering just what happened.

But, of course, there were people around who were saying it was a profound view into the inner depravity of man, or whatever. All the while, they were flailing their arms and speaking in a faux-Brit accent a little bit, with gigantic facial expressions and general over-the-topedness.

I don't hate these people at all. I just get a chuckle out of them. Does anyone else have a similar experience?

2. Pretentious people who don't have a clue what they're on about are indeed always good for a chuckle.

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    By being in the music business, we deal with pretentious people on a daily basis. :D

4. TreeChild

TreeChild

Feb 28, 2005
    Wimberley, TX
    just a little perspective.
    some say the same about freeform jazz.
    now, dont go flaming me, i play freeform jazz.

5. i think being pretentious is a big part of the modern arts

6. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I've never heard anybody pronounce it this way...

7. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Neither have I. However, lots of these types spell it "theatre," so I needed a way to distinguish it from the standard spelling.

8. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Well I didn't know what anyone was talking about until you guys brought up the spelling thing. It's spelled "theatre" here always. In British (dare I say it....'correct') English.

I know exactly the type you mean. Went out with a theatre student for ~2 years, lived with one for one. They have theatre-y parties where everyone is vying for the attention of others, those people aren't good with sharing.........

9. +1

I personally do not care for theater, having worked for quite some time at a dinner theater, but I don't rag on those who get something out of it.

10. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    The point isn't that we're ragging on people who like to see plays. I'm ragging on people who look like they're acting when they're talking to you, and sound like they're reading from a script.

11. Ah, yes, the version of English most heavily influenced by French.:D

Man, you obviously fell in with the wrong theater crowd. I was a drama freak all through high school and am involved in it now in college. All of those guys are outgoing, yes, but they try to be as inclusive as possible.

Plus you will NEVER laugh harder than when the drinks start flowing and party games ensue.:D

Rock on
    Eric

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I know what you mean. I've been in your shoes. I think a lot of those people make that crap up so people will think they are really smart. If you question one of those "types", they will often tell you that you just don't "get it", or that you aren't intellectual enough to understand.

-Mike

13. See, I thought this thread would talk about high school/college kids who lie all over each other and wear things like black vinyl miniskirts with knee-high argyle socks and all have venereal diseases and/or opiate addictions and wish their life were Rent.

But you're just talking about pretentious jerks. Those aren't the theater people I know and love to hate.

14. Don't lie, man, you don't know those peeps.

btw, i'm totally kidding.

15. I see.

In that case, I'd laugh in their face :smug:

16. You mean that their entire point of existence could be summed up in a crappy 5 minute home-made film (a really bad one, at that) best viewed on Christmas Eve while a good friend was having a near death experience on a table nearby? Huh. Yes, I think those people are included in this discussion.

Mike

17. You do have a point.

18. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    We'll never get anywhere with anything if there aren't people who are willing to step out to the edge.

And too.... we need those who bring them back. All in all, progress is made.

If the play wasn't speaking to you, maybe it was speaking to someone else.

19. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I just cant get into it , I went and saw a few plays/musicals in NYC and whille I enjoyed the live pit musicans sitting cramped in a littel chair with my knees up to my chest made the expirence just that more unpleasent.

20. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I used to be heavily into theatre/theater (acting and all that) but decided I needed a break. Those types who think they're hot **** because they're "actors" can indeed be dire and a pain to put up with. I think I also fell into that annoying part of the population to some extent back then. The more you know!

Also, being in an acting group really doesn't compare to being a band, in my opinion, especially if you're in a band that does originals. I liked/like being with my bandmates and rehearsing every week a lot better.