1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Theatre" types

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Yes, you do hate them, otherwise you wouldn't have written that! :D

A friend of mine is into acting, and acts in off and off-off Broadway plays. I mostly go to support him, but I know the type of people you're referring to. We'll all go out for drinks after the show and these know-it-alls will throw we mortals a few crumbs by coming down from their mountain to try and explain to everybody what we didn't even realize we had missed. :rollno:

I have seen some damn fine acting though. ;)

It is very interesting to talk to an actor/actress who, an hour ago had you mesmerized in the theater and now seems so insecure.

Mike

2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I used to do sound for a lot of better-than-average community theater stuff. It was a blast.

And I'm glad I didn't start doing that while I was in school. If I discovered then what a lot of actresses and dancers are like (for example, a simple compliment to someone at the cast party is like foreplay), I would've quit engineering and gone into drama.

It was also fun in that like live music, each performance is a little different and you can't be sure beforehand how it's going to go. Not that there are trainwrecks, but you find that the different audiences react differently. One night, a line or action gets a big laugh and another night something else does. An actor throws a prop as part of the play and one night, the throw is uneventful but another night it hits something differently and bounces in some way that cracks up the audience. Something goes awry and an actor has to cover it quickly and get back to the script. It's all really interesting.

3. Ah, yes, but you've saved yourself a lifetime of treatments for venereal disease.

4. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    My wife is a fairly well known doll artist (fancy custom dolls, not like a Raggedy Ann or Barbie) who exhibits regularly at various galleries throughout the country. These pseudo-artsy-fartsy types, very much like the OP's theatre types, are so full of BS that I sometimes can't stand it.

My wife made a doll she calls "Phillip Diller", a tongue-in-cheek charaterization of an aging, cross-dressing queen. She had a gallery showing recently and at the Artist's Reception (opening night) we overheard one of these BS types carrying on and on about the way the doll reflects the hardship of gender identity and how the artist (my wife) must have worked so hard at understanding the essence of this complicated lifestyle and blah, blah, blah ..... :eyebrow:

All we could do was laugh to ourselves ...... she made the doll one day while watching some movie on HBO and chatting with her friends on the phone. She never gave a moments thought to any thing other than the fact that she had all these doll body parts and a big old chair, so what the heck, why not just slap it together ...... :D

People can be so full of cr*p sometimes ..... BTW, here's "Phillip"
    [​IMG]

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    "The story of one dude and the people he loves to hate."

[​IMG]

bc