Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Theft

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SpankBass, Mar 28, 2003.

1. I'm getting sick of this. I can't even trust that my own stuff at my own house will be there when I get home.

This started mid january this year, during the NAMM weekend. It was a Sunday night when I realised, "hey, where is my playstation2?" It was gone, nothing else was gone, just my PS2. The chords and controllers were still there, my memory card was taken out and left, but the console was gone. Right out of my room, right out of my own house.
    I figured it must have happened on the previous Friday, because when i came home from NAMM the door was unlocked. I figured it was just mine or my little borther's carelessness. Also because no one was home that day, because I was at NAMM from open to closing then out with my friends, my mom was on a vacation, and my little brother was staying the weekend at my Dads house. I didn't notice until Sunday because NAMM was taking up my entire day from start to finish throughout the weekend.
    Anyway, the PS2 was bought from a friend who didn't have any of the original paperwork, so I don't know the serial number, so the police basically told me "Its gone." I was angry for a little while, but then I developed the "What are ya gonna do?" kinda attitude. I never got around to starting a thread about it.

But thats not the reason I started this thread, I started this one because I recently noticed that my digital camera is now missing. :mad:
    Right out of my room, right out of my OWN DAMN HOUSE! :mad:

I don't know who it is, but I have some clues:

-Obviously must be someone that a family member knows because they know how to get into my house and they know that my very feroucious sounding big ugly black lab is harmless.

-Must be someone that we CURRENTLY know and talk to because both of these incidents occured when my mom was out of town and my brother was at my Dad's for the weekend, unless that is just coincidence.

-May not have a car, becuase the things taken were small enough to fit in a backpack. My four basses/guitars were all in the room, my fancy stereo was in my room, my TV was in the room, and my very expensive fancy computer was in the house. It would look funny riding a bike or walking down the street with those items. These were items that someone just rushed in and grabbed and left.

I can't think of anyone of my friends that would do this, I really don't hang out with too many people other than really good friends anymore.
    So that must mean it is either one of my little brother's friends, or one of my sister's.
    I haven't mentioned my older sister yet, but here is a brief background:
    She's not living here anymore, she moved out with her boyfriend. Before she met this guy, she was a speed freak, and the company she kept were also speed freaks. Speed addicts steal stuff, as I know all too well from living with this woman almost all my life. Luckily the guy she met right now completely turned her around.
    But her friends are still losers. She doesn't hang out with them, unless she is down here for a weekend or something. And she is down here usually when my mom goes on a vacation, to make sure that things are running smoothly with just my little brother and I there..
    I trust her now that she is clean, and I trust that even if she thought of having a relapse, her boyfriend will be there to stop it. But I do NOT trust any of her former friends that she will visit when she is down here.
    You're probably wondering where I'm going with this. This is my train of thought:

-Sister comes down to watch house for the week.
    -Visits former friends
    -Former friends get word that no one is home
    -Former friends are easily able to get into my house (trust me, it is very easy to get into a house)
    -Former friends steal my stuff.

The problem with that theory is, why didn't they steal more? And why only MY stuff? Maybe they stole while she was home, right behind her back. That would make sense because my room is in the back of the house, away from the living room which is the "hang out" spot. The items taken were right out in the open, and easy to conceal (assuming they had a backpack for the PS2).

So why did I start this thread? I dunno, I'm just so angry that someone could just walk into my house and steal something from me. I've had stuff stolen from me all my life, and just when I think that it is safe to keep my bedroom door unlocked and my camera out in the open on my desk, this happens. Do any of you have any idea at how frustrating this is?

I dunno, i'm sorry for unloading all this, I don't even feel better after writing it.

2. Mael

Mael

Mar 25, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Dude, that sucks. Maybe you should set up boobie traps. Just don't forget about them stumbling in late at night.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Damn dude, that sucks....Hmmmm.....I once had a bunch of n64 games jacked....by one of my brother's "friends"

All I can say is, you should get to the bottom of this, if it is someone that your family knows and is in somewhat of contact with, it shouldn't be hard to get the stuff back, because the person that did it will not be able to withstand the pressure of a large group of people...furthermore if you identify the thief you can always get the cops in on it.

you seem to have some good leads, so you shoudl definitely pursue some lines of inquiry. Unless these "friends" of your sister are dangerous.

the only fear I would have is that they sold your **** to feed their habit.

I think that the backpack thing is a good possibity.

Maybe you should invest in a better lock for your room, at least until you solve this "case".

sorry to hear about that though, I would hate it if my PS2 was jacked...especially if they left the games,cables and memory card.

4. Well, the only reasons the games weren't taken was because they were under a pile of crap that collects in my room when i don't clean it. And thats why I don't clean it! :D

Investing in a better lock won't do much. Trust me, I could probably get into anyones room with a butter knife, and I learned my tricks my my sister, whom I'm sure learned it from he friends.

I kinda want them to come back in and steal something like my bass, because I've written down the serial number and taken pictures of everything of value in my house. So hopefully they will be nailed the second they try to pawn it.

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Man Spank that sucks dude... and the Police can't help.. not much they can do...

At least you still have your basses :D

6. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    How about making it plain that you are "going out" for a while, and then sit somewhere out of sight and watch the house?
    You never know.......

7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Kill everyone within 50 miles of you.

You are bound to get the evil person!

:rolleyes:

8. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    better go 100 just to be safe...:D

no but seriously...set up a hidden video camera to watch your room while your not home...

bp13

9. you must hire samurai. you won't get by with any less than seven.

10. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    ADT dude! I'm getting my system installed next week. $149 for the whole deal and that motion picks up everthing...set up a motion in the corner, sensors on your door/windows and then get a cheap engraving tool and put your name on everything with a value over $5...

or get a detective kit and dust your room for prints! then line up all the suspects and compare!;)

seriously, that stinks. hope you catch em and get your gear back.

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, spank, that sucks. you should wire up a small digital cam, connect it to your computer, and film your room. you'll catch the swarthy bastards, then.

12. :eek:
    banned for racism

or slapped on the wrist for not knowing what "swarthy" means

13. Wow, major suckage Spank. I'd probably do two things right away if faced with this.

1) Secure your stuff: Make sure that any windows in your room are secure and put a padlock on the door.

2) Round up all the inhabitants of the house and make them aware of the missing items. Find out who has been in the house recently.

I think that you are on the right track about it being someone familiar with your home and family.

Good luck.

14. Set a trap. Let various people know that everyone will be out of the house on a given day, and maybe drop hints that something new and shiny is at home (ie digital camera, new color-screen cell, game cube, whatever)

Don't leave though. Maybe get out of the house, but sneek back in. Wait. When someone does wtry to take your stuff, get on the horn and get the cops over. If the suspect leaves before the cops arrive, tail them. I have always detested that kind of criminal activity, and have ended several friendships over it.

Rock on
    Eric:bassist:

15. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    umm....what they said....:D

In all reality though, I'm real sorry to hear about that dude. I have 5 consoles in my room, if anyone were to steal any of them (xbox, ps, n64, super nin., dreamcast) I wouldn't be happy. I also got all that other stuff....man....someone would get a whooppin' if ever caught.
    I do hope you find this person/these people soon that are doing this.

The basses are still there though, and that's all ya need! :bassist:

16. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Don't count on that. That happened to me once, and I found my bass in a pawn shop, and what did the cops do?

That's right, kids.

NOTHING. :mad:

I hate thieves.

17. odie

odie Supporting Member

Get insurance!! Its really cheap.

18. Krist

Krist

Mar 24, 2003
    Sweden
    I know how you feel, i lost almost all of my friends when three of them tried to break into my mom's apartment when she wasen't there. Got a bit paranoid after that, and started accusing other friends of stealing from me. Turns out i was right about some of my other friends too. That really sucked, finding out that none of my friend could be trusted, twice!
    Glad you know its not your friends/family, that IMHO hurts the most.

19. Heh you think thats bad Ive had PLENTY of stuff stolen from my house. When I was like 13 one of my best friends stole a bunch of Gameboy games from me and thought Id never know even though he was the only person at my house the night before, I dont think my mom was going to steal them.

Then like a few weeks later two of my 'supposed' friends came to my house and stole some of my brothers playstation games, Two bottles of wine from our basement and threw a pint of Ice Cream into the neighbors yard (dont ask they were just trying to get me to fight them), I didnt know they stole anything till they called later and said "hey man we stole some wine from you, But we dont want it anymore so come over and get it back". Too bad for them my Dad and brother went over there and scared the living S*** out of them, and got the stuff back.

Oh and thats not all, Ive had two of my bikes stolen right from my garage, My car broken into and the stereo stolen, and just about 4 weeks ago Someone broke into my house and stole one of my basses and a cd player, luckily the bass was this ibanez i got for 100 bucks, not one of my good Basses that were in the basement. Its a cruel cruel world we live in, with friends like mine who needs enemys?

20. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

I agree, I used to work in a pawn shop, cops don't do anything, the owner often gave money for stealed stuff, when the victims came to the shop he would say "OK you can have your stuff back but you have to give me what I give to this person plus 20%" the victims often called the cops but they don't do anything. I hate thieves, but I hate pawn shops thieves even more. they are rude with people and they would laugh at the victims after they leave, after 6 months working there I quit :meh:
    For the record, i have never pawned anything;)