Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thelonious Monk quartet w/ Coltrane!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Muzique Fann, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Blue Note is putting out this newly discovered recording from '57: Thelonious Monk quartet w/ John Coltrane live at Carnegie Hall. It'll be in stores on the 27th :bassist:

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'll be in line to pick this up.

3. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    These have been rumored to exist for years. Cool that they are becoming available.

4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I can't wait to get this.

5. Sweet!

I'll be first in line.

6. Thank you so much for posting this. I had no idea.

7. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I can't wait. I am a fan of both musicians work!

8. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Oh man, if it's 1/3 as good as the Monk-Trane album, I am all over it.

9. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    OK, I'll display my ignorance: Who's in the bass seat for this gig?

10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    No they haven't. Nobody knew they even existed until somebody going through the Library of Congress's archives found some tapes in a box. There was a nice article in the NYTimes about a month ago, you oughta dig it out.

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Ahmed Abdul-Malik and Shadow Wilson on drums. This is the same band that is on those 5 Spot recordings that sound so bad that Trane's wife recorded. Only the quality of these recordings has been described as "near studio quality".

12. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    On the topic of 'Trane:

In the sleevenotes to the recent reissue of Cannonball Adderley's 'Cannonball in Europe!', Michael Cuscana refers to a forthcoming DVD of the classic John Coltrane quartet lineup at the Comblain-La-Tour International Jazz Festival in 1965. :eek: I can't wait for this!

Out this week is a new Coltrane live album, 'Live at the Half Note' on Impulse!, recorded live in March and May 1965. Previous bootlegs of this material have been from recordings of radio broadcasts - the new official release uses the original stereo tapes given to Coltrane by the DJ on the night. The tapes lay forgotten until this year.

13. STOKED! I heard this on NPR a couple weeks ago.

14. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Buddy of mine just called and said WBGO is planning on broadcasting the Trane/Monk in it's entirety at noon today. I'm pretty sure they stream

www.wbgo.org

if anybody is interested...

15. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Thanks, Ed. I'm listening to it now.

16. DOH! Missed it!

17. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    I just picked this up and it is absolutley KILLING!!! The band sounds great, extremely swinging. Monk is playing a big, in tune piano, Trane is blowing his ass off, Abdul-Malik and Shadow are really strong and in the pocket. The SOUND quality is phenomenal. This band is playing acoustically, so it ain't like listening to Britney Spears (Bruce). In context, everything is clear and present. Just like you were sitting in front of these guys.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. J & R is selling this for $9.99 right now.

18. i've been listening to it each day since Tuesday.
    Absolutely amazing!

i've never heard Monk sound so free. his playing on Monk's Mood is just beautiful and Trane plays such a killer duet with him on it.

plus, Monk sounds really inspired by Trane's playing. normally you think he would be dancing during the solos but he's laying down some serious comping.

great disc. far better then i expected.

thanks for the head's up on the new Trane disc from 1965 as well!

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That was a little disappointing. Almost.

Is that a dig at Lindfield?
    If so...KUNGFUQUA'd!

Figures...I bought it down here in Virginny, ON SALE, for $13.