Thelonious Monk rules (even after his death)!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by peteroberts, Jan 1, 2005.

1. I have been getting into Monk again lately.

When I first checked him out, I thought...weird. He's a little off with his harmonies. But that's what's so great about him... he was very advanced for his time; he didn't get critical (and popular) acclaim for many years after he cut his first stuff.

Long live Thelonious Monk!!!
  2. Yeah, he really has a cool style. I wouldn't say he's "a little off with his harmonies", though. He's just different than what someone who's listened to jazz pianists such as Bill Evans all their life is used to.
  3. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Who would win in a wrestling match, Lemmy or Monk?
  4. Dude, that's precisely what I was trying to say! He's not only different, he is tremendously UNIQUE and brought things to jazz in the 1930's that people today are still trying to figure out.
  5. pentexlovesme

Mar 28, 2004
    I haven't listend to much Monk, but from the cds I have (Monk's Dream, and Monk with Coltrane) it's obvious that the man really had his one style and unique view of Jazz and music in general. Anyone have any recomendations of recordings I should check out for further Monk-ness?
  6. Plus, he had a DAMN cool name. Know of anyone else named Thelonius? Sounds like a character from the Matrix.

Rock on
  7. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Thelonious Monk is my favorite jazz cat. His album with John Coltrane is stunning, simply stunning.

I have a friend named TheloDious, but not TheloNious.
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    GOOD LORD, Monk is my fav Jazz pianist ever. He so damn creative. If I had to use the term ahead of his time on only one person, it would be Thelonious Monk!

I watched the Ken Burns video and seeing a little clip of him was just fantastic. You can almost get into his head watching, he really stares at the keys before he picks what notes he's going to play, he really visualizes. All hail Monk!
  9. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    This is my mascot Thelonius. :D

10. Yeah, and how many pianists do you know copy Thelonius's style of playing? Hardly any compared to the amount that imitate Bill Evans.
  11. "Jazz is Freedom!" -------- T. Monk

His harmonies were considered to be "off", in his time, that's because of his frequent use of things like the augmented fourth. Some musicians even called them "wrong notes".
    The man deliberately cultivated an eccentric stage presence, by wearing oddball hats, and dancing during performances. But.... he was also the house pianist at Minton's for a while too!

IMHO the two defining Monk pieces ar "Misterioso" and "Epistrophe" (sp?)

Check out "Straight no Chaser" (documentary film available on dvd)
  12. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont know much about jazz, but i enjoy listening to it when im relaxing. I was listening to Thelonius Monk a few hours ago while doing homework.
  13. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    His middle name is Sphere, too. Thelonius Sphere Monk.

Coolest. Name. Ever.
  14. Monk is one of my all-time favourites - totally original, unique, and fascinating! Many musicians have paid homage to Monk - check out "In The Key Of Monk" by Jessica Williams…

Check out the "Live in Paris" concerts (including a free DVD of a TV appearance in Oslo) - fabulous stuff!

"You've never heard Monk until you've seen him play…"

- Wil

PS: I would recommend anyone interested in learning more about Monk to check out the DVD "Straight No Chaser", which contains "…Revealing, rarely-seen footage of Monk in 1967-1968 captures the mercurial music master on and offstage, in the studio and on the road, at work and at rest. This is supplemented by interviews with Monk's friends and colleagues, interpretations of Monk's music and rare archival photographs producing a vibrant portrait of the legendary jazz musician."
  15. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> This is a great DVD! Produced by Clint Eastwood, I think.
    An intimate portrait of the man and his music...
  16. "You've never heard Monk until you've seen him play…"

- Wil

LOL this is sooooooo true!!!

"Straight No Chaser" is available at

$19.95....... I think?
  17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Someone has to say this: I know this thread is more about the fact that he's a genius... but Monk is music related. ;)

18. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Nope, wrong movie. Thelonious is the executioner from Shrek 1 who is guarding the Gingerbread Man (prior to being questioned by Lord Farquaad.) :p :)

Anyway.....Monk is definately my favorite pianist of all time.