1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Then he said "my wife the keyboard player"....

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Jimmy4string, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    /thread!! :)

Jimmy4string likes this.
  2. From the emails so far sounds like a good deal. They say they draw about 100 people a show. Play twice a month.
    Some of the songs I am not keen on but hey I am always down for a musical adventure.
    :)
    Anyway next tuesday is the meetup. Songs they gave to work up:
    3 steps -Skynard - can sing this in my sleep
    Livin after midnight -JP can sing this one in mah sleep too
    James Dean -Eagles
    Neon Moon -Brooks and Dunn
    Rock this town -Stray cats
    Soak up the sun -Cheryl Crowe -Harmonies
    jtsandcow.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  3. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Just spent the last three years with a very reliable, busy group fronted by a married couple. No issues. As with any other band, it's about the individuals, no more, no less. More likely to get issues from two mid-20s single folks in a band hooking up than a pair of 30-40 somethings that have been married for 10+ years.

Jimmy4string likes this.
  4. filwitheneff

filwitheneff

Feb 22, 2008
    SEMO
    My current band has a husband and wife - guitarist and vocalist, respectively. Both are very talented, easy to get along with, and good people in general. Not all of these situations are bad.

Jimmy4string likes this.
  5. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    If you think the wife is hot, you don’t want to join the band.

DeltaDelta likes this.
  6. theretheyare

theretheyare Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing: Arkham Vacuum Tube Amplification
    I don't see the issue, it's like a couple running any business. They either work professionally or they don't.
    I'd set your assumptions aside.

JRA and Jimmy4string like this.
  7. Going to play a gig at my niece's wedding in Sept. My first paid gig was with the same guitarist / singer and my brother, on drums. I cannot tell you how much I look forward to this same arrangement.

8. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Gorillaz? That computer generated Japanese girl band. Gwar.

Sometimes minimising the number of humans in a band appeals but only sometimes

instrumentalist likes this.
  9. Holdsg

Holdsg I should be practicing Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    I work for a husband/wife originals band, The Swansons.
    Been at it a year or so. Limited drama. There is no mistaking who is in charge, and who is bankrolling the band, so it works in this situation. I was watchful at first, but not so much these days, I know who they are and they know who I am, and we all get along just swell.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  10. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    A buddy of mine has a band in which his brother and wife are both in his band, and they are great. All good talented people.

11. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

00 images2b2.

i think it's fun (especially on TB!) to categorize every experience (or potential experience) as an either/or binary. but it's not realistic given the differences among people (and couples!) and the potentials that can emerge when you insert yourself. anyway: it sounds to me like you'd be better off woodshedding than to worry about the possible "drama." good luck with your project! :thumbsup:

:laugh:

Mr_Moo likes this.
  12. dlb1001

dlb1001

Jan 30, 2007
    Just depends...I have played two husband/wife bands and they worked fine. The band that I'm in now, has the wife as one of the singers and the husband is the keyboardist. But, what makes the present band a little different is that the couple is from France and has been in the States for a few years. So, the songlist has a number of artists, from France, that I have never heard about (Johnny Hallyday and Madame K).

13. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

^This. Many times in life the only drama you end up dealing with is a product of the issues and hangups you brought with you.

If you can’t rise above your own insecurities and assumptions, you’re better off passing on it.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  14. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!

instrumentalist and Jimmy4string like this.
  15. smcgov

smcgov Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Northshore Mass
    she could be your soulmate!

16. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    I toured for 3-years back in the early 70's with a nightclub group where the drummer and the female singer were married. She was originally the only vocalist but at the time I joined there were three of us singing lead vocals each night and we later added a fourth. So, although that sounds ripe for ego-collisions, it worked out just fine. We had great harmonies; played a very wide spectrum of music at the time; and were making good money. So nobody was in a hurry to kill the goose that laid golden eggs. We rarely had omelets...;)

So, yeah it can work out fine. Like any partnership-type venture though, success depends upon the dedication and personalities of the people involved. I wouldn't avoid it just because they are married and I wouldn't go looking for trouble. Probably a good idea to have a meet and greet with them before jumping in head first though. That would give you a clue of the personalities you'd be working with.

Mr_Moo, mikewalker and Jimmy4string like this.
  17. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Looks like a solid list and 100 per show is more than respectable! I'm not a fan of a couple of those above but it's tunes that people will like and nothing there that's too soul-sucking. Neon Moon is a good one, and I'm not even a Brooks and Dunn fan.

I'm with those who say go into it expecting the best. Despite some long-running tropes, most of the annoying folks I've experienced in music groups have been male musicians.

Good luck and Godspeed!

Mr_Moo and Jimmy4string like this.
  18. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    My wife and I have a very successful trio. We've had the same guitarist for 20 years...we harmonize very well and the song list is agreed upon by all (not majority rules...as us against him type of situation). All I'm saying is...give it a chance, you may be very surprised! FB_IMG_1549112121598. FB_IMG_1539607082099. 19928.

19. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Yes she was! Then, when the Beatles weren't involved and it was just John's band, everything was fine because John wanted her in his band. And, it was his band, not the Beatles. She was a constant source of friction while John was still in the Beatles.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  20. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    Also, we may be looking for a guitarist for fill in work...if people are so anti- married couple work then we'd be sitting home and not playing!!