1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Then he said "my wife the keyboard player"....

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Jimmy4string, Feb 25, 2019.

1. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    whoosh.

2. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    I dunno, I’ve worked with couples before and not had issues from a relationship standpoint. Now, from a musical standpoint< it was tough sledding and required a very light touch if you get my drift.

Jimmy4string likes this.
  3. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    I read this over breakfast, drinking my daily cup of English Tea that gets me started. I've done this for over 40 years. And I'm not even english.

4. She's a fifty feet tall hologram, dancing and singing. Her name is Hatsune Miku. And she has human sidemen.
    download.

5. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

Apr 15, 2013
    yes but are the robots married

this is the real question

6. My wife and I have worked together for 30 years or so without any issues. We are the nucleus and we have a number of different players from time to time and usually the guys are very happy to come on board. It helps if you’ve got a good writer/singer (the wife).

Jimmy4string likes this.
  7. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I thought English tea turned people English within no more than 25 years!

instrumentalist likes this.
  8. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    There is/was a virtual band too.

Gwar and Gorillaz were obviously joke suggestions.

instrumentalist likes this.

9. Somehow now both this video makes more sense, and the world makes less sense knowing this.
    Japanese people are weird. But I guess that is kinda cool.

-Asdfgh- and instrumentalist like this.
  10. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    I've been in several bands involving married couples, including one with my own wife. In none of those bands did the presence of spouses in the mix cause any trouble or drama. (There was drama in a couple of those bands, but not due to the married-people dynamics.)

Really, the dynamics that people have cited as potential hazards of dealing with a married couple are not married-people dynamics, they're human dynamics. The married band members will function as a bloc and out-vote other band members on stuff? Two members don't have to be married to do that. A band leader will include his/her incompetent spouse to the detriment of the band? Again, that can apply to incompetent friends just as well. Indeed, I was in a band in which the manager was the husband of the singer/bandleader. That relationship caused no problems at all. But the guitarist was kind of awful, yet could not be fired because he and the singer were old pals. That was issue that prompted me to leave that band.

In any band, you can get dynamics involving band members that make it a toxic situation for the other people involved. Sometimes those dynamics are between married people, but often they're not, and I don't know that having spouses involved makes those sort of bad dynamics more or less likely.

So, if you're considering a new project, of course you're going to want to be sensitive to relationship dynamics that could make it a bad experience. But I would not assume that such dynamics would automatically, or even probably, come from having a married couple in the band. Plenty of bands with married couples in them have healthy relationships, and plenty of other bands without them have toxic drama.

11. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I've been doing lights and sound for a band and my wife's is by my side and takes over part of the effort, helps with the cabling. It works very well.

12. So i went to the audition last night. They were surprised that i had memorized the songs they wanted me to do. Pretty much a lady on a keyboard and the other guy -the husband that doesnt really do much?! Sound. tambourine?! IDK.
    Anyway, they were nice and all just not a good fit for me. Imagine a church sounding lady on a keyboard playing "living after midnight -JP". A few years back I might have jumped right into this band but i could already see if just wouldn't work out. Reasons -music was a lot of real old deep cuts. They dont really have the rest of the band together yet -no guitarists. However, they did mention some friction with some other musicians that would probably have the same type of issues I would -change up dead wood music, dress better, put on a show, lose the ipads. Anwyway they told me they would get back with me by Sunday -but i doubt they are interested in me either ;)
    Oh well -craigslist audition adventures!!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Bassed in NZ, Mr_Moo and richntiff like this.
  13. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    well at least you knew it up front. not 6 months from now.

the "we'll get back to you" line is also very telling. Means, "no thanks." so it wasn't a fit. no biggie. you didn't lose much except the time to audition. keep at it

Jimmy4string likes this.
  14. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Sounds like you're giving it a good sober analysis. I think your leaning is pretty clear above but if they ask you to join what will you say?

15. They decided to go with another singer \guitarist.
    @Eilif i would have told them exactly what they told me. "Thank you for your time but we decided to go with someone else."
    I am getting together with a country drummer later this week to see if we have something....