1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Theoretical question about Active Bass and Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alaskaleftybass, Jun 29, 2012.

1. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I'm old school, love the old Amepegs and Peaveys with simple controls, made sense of them, now the new amps are so versatile could make your head spin.

So, I own an Ibanez SR500 that I really love using live. It has the active electronics, bass, mid, treble, blend, micro switch, which to my ear doesn't do a lot lol...

My question. A while back some companies like Tech 21 were building slave amps, I think they were 100 watt 12" bass cabs, that you could daisy chain off the original amp. What would happen if I used one of those kinds of amps for my main amp, and used only my tone controls on my bass? As you can tell I'm not real knowledgeable about the new stuff, although I come here every day to read and learn from you guys using the new stuff.

2. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Gain structure would likely be weak.

Insert some type of preamp.

ART makes a decent sounding, inexpensive one.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 still need a preamp in between.

4. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I'm thinking maybe a VT pedal before the amp?

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It depends on the output of the VT vs. the required input sensitivity of the power amp. Most "stompbox" pedals are not up to the task. The VT might be, but it depends.