Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Theoretical Setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzy bass man, Aug 22, 2005.

1. What do yu guys think about this.

BBE B-Max
    QSC RMX 850
    Schroeder 1210

I play ska/reggae in a band, as well as upright for jazz. In general I like a deep bassy sound.

I have a Spector Legend 4, and a MIM Fender Precision.

Thanks

2. The Bmax has given me the lowest of lows of all the setups I have owned in the last few years. (Bmax, Ampeg SVP-CL, Sansamp, Peavey head, Ampeg B2R head.) I think it will suit your needs well.

3. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I run that setup, but just exchange the QSC(which I'd rather have) for the poweramp section of my hartke 3500(I bypass the onboard preamp).

You want bass you say?

I keep mine turned completely off and an conservative with the sonic maximizer.

you'll have all the boom you could possibly want, and the ability to control it

4. joeyhimself

joeyhimself

Jul 17, 2005
    Looks like a nice rig, but for an extra 100 bucks, you could grab an RMX 1450 or whatever it's called. It would give you more headroom, not that you'd need it. Just something to consider...

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Think about the 1212 for more lows. I'm using mine for a reggae gig.

6. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    For not even 100$ more you could get a qsc rmx 1450 from northernsound.

Email em for a quote, and see what I mean.

+1 for the rig you have in mind though, and yes I would go with the 1212 rather than the 1210.

-Rob

7. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I would go with the 1212 as suggested, I think it would suit that style better.

8. I'm a bottom feeder, and buy used gear. My current RMX-850 was $139 shipped.

Do not buy a new RMX-850. It will NOT hold its resale value, and when you find it under powered, you will want to move up.

The RMX are great amps, but heavy is the tradeoff. The PLX are half the weight, and twice the price. Good stuff... I own several.

Many noobs get into the vicious cycle of trading up. Buy as much amp as you can possibly afford, and hold on to it. Separate pieces allow you to yield to GAS without losing your ASS. Solid state power amps such as QSC are staples, and not an integral part of the "tone" thing. Power tube grind excepted. A big QSC or other power amp will let you change preamps, etc, while keeping your investment intact.

Don't buy too small a power amp. In the RMX line, the 1850HD catches my eye. It weighs 45 pounds, which is damn near all I want to lift in a single power amp.

9. Good advice on the 1212 but I also need it to do the Upright bass thing so I kind of need the 10" for flexibilty. :)

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    +1

ALSO, I have no idea how the BMax will do with a DB...I do know their gain runs very much on the hot side and another question is regarding the input impedence of the BMax (will it match up with what you used on the DB?).

You might want to run a thread in the DB section and see if anyone's tried it (assuming no one pipes in here).

11. Thanks. :D
    I have the lr baggs acoustic para d.i. which takes care of the impedance problem although I don't know about the hot gain.

12. The Bmax has a very high input impedance. I believe it's 1 Meg Ohm.

13. I got to try the b max at LDS (birthday gas trip) and I really like the sounds it put out for electric, still have no idea about DB.