1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Theoretically, all this stuff should equal a pretty nice Jazz Bass, right?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Oct 30, 2010.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    All of the following, assembled correctly, should result in a pretty nice Jazz Bass, right?

• Oil finished 2-piece swamp ash body by B. Hefner company
      [​IMG]
    • Either a maple/maple fretted WD Music Jazz neck or a maple/ebony fretless Warmoth neck.
    • Hipshot A aluminum bridge and Hipshot Ultralite tuners.
    • Tusq nut on the fretted neck or bone nut on the fretless neck.
    • Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups.
    • Audere JZ5D preamp.
    • TI Jazz flats.
    • Fender '62 Jazz 4-ply tort pickguard.

2. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    I would recommend sadowsky pups and pre-amp but that's just me..

3. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I should have mentioned that I currently posess all but the body and the fretted neck already.

4. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    Then everything sounds good and I like the transparency of Audere pre-amp that would go well with Dimarzio Ultra Jazz.. ;)

5. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    The Audere/Ultra Jazz combo did sound good in the Jazz I parted out to get all of these parts...

6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    That should work very fine. Id pick roundwound strings and a diff body wood, but ash is very very good to. I just prefer the darker tone of mahogany is all.

7. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Can't hang with rounds (too scooped). The low Z mode on the Audere will give quite a dark tone.

8. t0t0m

t0t0m

Dec 8, 2008
    I agree with your plan fourstringbliss, sounds like a great plan.

9. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I have had great results with the Hipshot A style. I would recommend the brass version, unless you are hyper concerned with weight.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    if they do as good grain matching as what's on that body pic, i don't see how you could go wrong. certainly doesn't look like a 2 pc body to me. looks like one piece.

i'd probably skip the pre, but i guess everyone has opinions about everything ;)

11. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I tried the brass and it was too heavy for what I wanted. I'm thinking this whole thing could end up weighing around 8 lbs!

12. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    Go for it!

13. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Sounds great...I'm not a fan of the Aluminum bridges, but I think you would hear a little less of the harshness on a frettless...

A J bass building freak and built a ton of them...So I share in your stoke on this project...post pics or what have you when its done.

Cheers :cool:

14. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    So, there could be harshness from the aluminum? I've heard that you get q bit more top end.

15. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    it might if you used an allparts neck (warmoths are pretty heavy) and Bernie picked you a 3 1/2- 4lb body. but IME, since most lightweight j bass bodies are 4-4 1/2lbs, 8 1/2-9lbs is a more realistic expectation.

and i'd go with a fender AV RI bridge for tone (and lightweight).

16. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    9 lbs would suit me just fine!

17. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    FWIW, I installed a Hipshot A-style bridge (aluminum) on one of my jazz bass (w/Alder body) and did a before & after spectrum analysis of the waveform. It showed the most gain (5 or 6db) of frequencies at the low-mid punch area of 100Hz. It also added some harmonic complexities to the highs, but not a huge gain in the overall volume of the highs. So the highs sounded a little livelier with the Hipshot A bridge, but not overwhelming or harsh, IME. Actually, I did this on 2 different Alder bodied bass & got the same results in the same area of frequencies. How it would generally perform/affect frequencies on an Ash bodied bass, not quite sure.

Good luck on the build - should be a great project, very nice selection of parts as well. Looking forward to seeing it come together!

18. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Thanks! I'm looking forward to getting the body, pickguard, and neck - then I can start working on finish, wiring, and assembly. It should turn out to be a very nice Jazz Bass!

19. dtsamples

dtsamples Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Wilmington, DE
    Agreed. Thats a 1 pc.

20. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    It would be a good Jazz. It would be better without the Ultra-Jazz pickups, but that's my personal distaste/disappointment with the scooped mids that they had.