1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Theory Books For My Students

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by paul_wolfe, Oct 4, 2009.

1. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    Hey everyone

I need to suggest some theory books for some of my students. Specifically what I want is a book that teaches Chord Progressions and explains how and why chords are put together into sequences like 2-5-1, or 1-4-5.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Paul

2. Ten Four One

Ten Four One

Dec 5, 2006
    "Writing Music for Hit Songs" is excellent. Clear, concise. Everything you need, nothing you don't. Probably the best written introduction to basic music theory out there.

3. the best book for that may be no book at all......discovering the relationships from the information you give them and working out the missing pieces,and asking questions when all else fails would be my method....

4. funkmangriff

funkmangriff

Dec 29, 2007
    i got some books called "popular music theory" they are great books designed to teach music theory in a practical way-which means that people can easily play what they are being taught

this helps students to hear what is being written, but most importantly they aren't books that are written in a language only a rocket scientist can understand!

they are fun and easy to understand which makes learning ALOT easier.

i hope i helped a bit!

5. bobknowsbass

bobknowsbass

Jul 27, 2009
    Monrovia, CA
    I really like "The Working Bassists Toolkit" by Ed Friedland. It has a great chapter on chord progressions, as well as reading charts and "Jazz Survival" IMO, there isn't a better bass education author than Friedland.

6. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    Thanks for all the advice - will get looking on Amazon tonight!

7. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I highly recommend "Edly's Music Theory for Practical People". It's very much what I wish had been available when I was teaching full-time decades ago. I like it because:

A. It doesn't assume you play piano
    B. It doesn't assume you know how to hear written standard notation
    C. It doesn't require you to read standard notation, but makes the point that reading is one very powerful and useful part of understanding the language of music
    D. It doesn't presume that western classical music is the only music that exists
    E. It has wonderfully clear diagrams- so many of them are exactly what I wound up han-writign for my students back in the '80s.

Here's the link...http://www.edly.com/mtfpp.html