1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Theory concept with use of a 2 channel head.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by namuxtree, Oct 26, 2009.

1. I have a question I'd like to ask you TBer's...

Lets just say we have a 2 channel amp with 2 separate inputs (not one that is passive/active) like...lets say a little mark tube. The separate channels are not defeatable to my knowledge but even if they are lets think about this...
    Lately I've been trying to find a way to mic my bass amp. I play a church so all the equipment; the PA, snake, everything is stationary. We don't have enough channels on the snake to add another mic for my amp. What if I plugged in a mic like a Shure Beta 52 into one of the channels on top (i believe it has an XLR input.) And the bass into the other. Would that work?

2. So... you want to mic your bass amp, and have the mic feed into your bass amp? This sounds a little weird to me.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Google the term "feedback loop."

4. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi namuxtree.

Perhaps if you were to diagram the signal path that you have in mind?

For example: bass-->amp-->PA etc.

5. That's what I was thinking. Doesn't seem like a good idea.

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The mic plugs into the PA, not your bass amp. Unless you want to sing through the bass amp, that is. :D

7. As mentioned, that would just create feedback, if anything. Do you have a DI for the bass amp now? You could swap it's position on the snake with a mic and see if it sounds better. Or, do you have any unused vocal mics? Are there more channels on the mixer? You could just get a 50ft XLR and run it along with the snake.