Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Theory crash course....

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Mandobass, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Mandobass

Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Howdy all.

ok ive played mandolin for about three years and ive been playing bass about four months. my friends are pretty well versed in theory so ive gotten some passive training just through jamming with them, but i havn't gone Jaco-style regarding learning theory, but i want to!

I was wondering if you all know of any websites that offer good info(concise pref.) that i could print off and take with me to all my classes here at NC state.

2. I have to say that has the clearest explanation of modes I've seen.
    today I was playing major and minor scales up and down the neck with the root on the E string, the tenth on the G string and writing down how they all fit together, and now after looking at that site it all finally seems to make sense.

although I suppose some people might say they're allowing people to be lazy by not forcing them to read music notation before they can interpret the modes explanation (ie. writing the note letters out- even, shock, horror, using tab in places.... rather than notating them).

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    You are at one of the best sights for obtaining music theory. The right forum too. Just use the search feature and you will find a plethora of theory knowledge in here. Anything by Ed Fuqua, Chris Fitzgerald, Pacman, Jazzbo, and Gard is IMO always worth reading. You'll learn alot from these guys.

4. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo
    I find Cyberfret so chock full of annoying popups that I can't even use it.

5. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    i'd never heard of it until now... the popups are attrocious! one just astyed on top of what i was reading and could be closed down!
    ...and those that pop up on every new page take two clicks to close, the cheek!!

i think i agree tho, the modes explanation did seem very comprehensive.

mock turtle regulator - is your name in anyway reated to that band making a comeback with a song in the charts right now??

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Welcome back, MAMACASS......

where the hell you been?!??!

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Can you dig it!!

They were playing live on Top of the Pops last Friday - pretty good I thought - I liked the bass playing!! :)

Nice to have some half-decent musicians on ToTPs for a change!

8. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    You thought they were good?!

I thought they were aweful! The vocals were appaling and the song, Christ almighty, the song... I almost lost the will to live! They should have stayed at home if you ask me!

Christina Aguilera' slatest single Beautiful, now that is a damned fine piece of pop music - a brilliant pop song, great lyrics, fantastic melody, and what a voice! She's got some lovely lungs on her ;)

9. Bruce Lindfield

I never hear lyrics and to behonest I was just interested in the bass line - it wasn't your typical "indie" fare which bores me to death and I am forced to listen by my girlfriend who likes it loud on my big monitor speakers!

10. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I'm with you on that one buddy :cool:

11. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    LOL :D I have a simelar problem. My fiancé (such an aweful tacky word!) cant stand jazz, so much so that I have to wait till she goes out before I can listen to it.. it really grates on her, I fear she'll come at me with a knife or a screwdriver or something if I listen to any jazz!
    She recently bought Justim Timberfakes album... what can a guy do?!

Actually, some of Justified is quite like some of Stevie Wonder's music... a fact which a freind of mine used in an arguement we had over whether Justin Timberlake was a credible artist or not. I stated that having songs produced by a million dollar producer to sound like Stevie didnt mean it had the soul of Stevie - an arguement I'm very proud of :)

moley - yeah, it's a great song isn't it. an absolute work of art in pop terms at least :)

12. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    What are you doing engaged to a woman who doesn't like Jazz?!? Get out while you still can!! :D

13. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    She has a fine arse ;)

No but seriously..
    how many people like jazz?
    half that and you've got the number of women who like jazz
    then imagine how many of those women are good looking?

Narrows it down a bit doesn't it.

I prefer not to reduce my chances of procreating based on a genre of music :)

14. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Ahh, that's ok then :D

15. Bruce Lindfield

Wow this thread really took a nose dive since I last saw it - hopefully it's "bottommed out" now and the tone will start to go back up again!! ;)

16. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    mmm sorry my fault :rolleyes:
    trust me to 'lower the tone' - boom boom

17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    anyway..back on topic :mad:

www.musictheory.net <---- one of the best resources I've found for beginning-intermediate theory.

18. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida