Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Theory Forum, anyone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Jan 27, 2001.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Hi, everyone. For some time I have wanted to talk about some theory concepts I've been working on as learning tools for beginning to advanced jazz soloists. Before I do that, I have two questions:

1) Does anybody have any interest in doing theory threads? I'd like some feedback and other views, but would not want to post a buncha stuff that would bore everyone to death. I've seen veiled references to possible theory threads in the past, but with the exception of Mike Dimin's "Modes" thread I haven't seen much of that kind of thing.

2)If there is any interest in that kind of thing, where should it be posted? Should "theory" be its own topic? It would make sense that if we have a dedicated "Rosin" forum, there should be one for theory as well (of course, if the discussion got heated, we could always move it over to "rosin"). So, if there is any interest, how would we go about setting up a forum for theory?

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Absolutely , Chris.

It seems like there is a fast growing interest in understanding theory by the self taught guys such as myself.

All of you guys on DB are great about answering questions but I've found that one needs a certain level of theory to know what questions to ask.

I've even noticed a fast growing interest in theory up on the BG board.

Maybe someone(you:)) could just start a thread on theory and see what kind of response it creates. If it turns into a mega thread, Paul will see the need for its own topic.

I have to wonder why we have a topic dedicated to rosin. After all, there's only so many things that can be said about rosin.

Pkr2

3. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    I am interested.

4. Post away! I think theory stuff could go either in "technique" or right here in "miscellaneous".

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I would definitely love a theory thread. I think this could benefit everyone from the casual to the professional player.

Once again though, detailed and accurate thread subjects are important. I am not definitely not a theory god, but I also don't need to spend hours wading through major vs. minor chord descriptions.

I think it's long overdue. Of course, I also think a FAQ section is long overdue.

6. Me too a theory forum would be an excellent addition to talk bass.

7. Hi Chris

I'd like to add my 'dimpled chad' for a Theory forum as well please.

Again I'm a self taught player so skipped over the 'boring' theory when I was learning, but now I'm realising how handy it would be.

Cheers

Dean

8. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Bring it on, baby.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes, I think it would be very useful and it's something that is of interest no matter what instrument you're playing. Although of course there are areas which might be of specific interest to bass players or Jazz players. Like I've been recently looking at diminished scales and how using these can imply four different tonalities at once and so the tonality of an improvised solo can be changed by what notes the bassist happens to be playing as the root. I've still to come to terms with what this means to me, as the bass player - if anything? ;)

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Well, it sounds like there's some interest out there, so I'll try to give it a shot sometime later in the week when the schedule lightens up (If somebody else doesn't beat me to it). For lack of a better place to do it, I guess the Misc. forum is as good as any.

Jazzbo - when you said that a FAQ section was long overdue, did you mean a theory FAQ, or just a general one? I think both are probably a good idea, but I have no idea how to go about setting up either one. Do you?

And just for the record, so nobody gets the wrong idea, I'm not trying to turn into some kind of big internet theory teacher with this: I'd just like to run some ideas I've been working on at my teaching gigs past those who care to listen and get some feedback. Someday I might like to put it all down on paper either as a text or a supplement to one for my classes, but mostly I'm just looking to hear voices/opinions other than my own.

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Chris - Really a FAQ section for most every forum would be a good idea. This might help give some detailed answers to common questions that many people don't like to thoroughly answer because it's already been asked too many times. It might not be a bad idea for theory as well. Common questions that people might need answered to get them off the ground, things like the intervals of the diatonic scale, composition of basic triads, and other things. Of course, the problem is, I really don't know how to do it. I just come here to visit. :D

12. soundofphysics

soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    i think a theory lounge would be great. In order to get one we have to really start posting theory questions. It would be nice to share some tricks, and to see someone else's.

13. Deeter

Deeter

Dec 5, 2000
    San Fransico, CA
    Chris,

A theory forum is a great idea. I, for one, would love to have all that information in a central, easily-accessible location . . . it would be much more convenient for folks like myself hunting for stuff of that nature. Go for it!

14. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    For those who are interested, there's a theory thread entitled "Approaching Melodic Soloing through Blanket Scales" in Miscellaneous DB. Feel free to jump right in whether you feel that it's on your level or not. If you think you are above the topic, then think again; most people I know (including myself) are not. If you think it's over your head but are still interested in the subject, then jump in and ask for some points to be clarified. I'm sure you'll get some answers. Hope to see you there!

Chris

15. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey Chris,

It's going to take about another two or three reads before I'm sure I even have everything from that thread down before I can ask a question. :)

16. cschenk78

cschenk78

Mar 12, 2000
    Watertown, NY
    Sounds like fun...I would make it its own category...