Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Theory Forum

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I don't have my heart set on this, but it would be nice if there was a specific place to post music theory related questions. As I told Jazzbo a couple of days ago, I have made my last post in BG General Instruction due to the mountains of tab requests which are allowed there and the intensity with which the right to post them is defended. I like talking about theory on the net, but I refuse to do it in a place where most of the space seems to be devoted to taking the easy way out.

If there was enough interest, I think a theory forum could be a really beneficial asset to TB, as there are quite a few members who are quite knowledgeable on the subject, and also a few folks who seem really interested in actually learning something about music besides how to imitate where the latest "bass flavor of the month" put his fingers on the most recent MTV smash hit.

Thoughts, comments, insights, inspirations?

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Chris I support adding a THEORY FORUM.

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I would like to see one. It would also be something I haven't seen at other bass forums. Might be a drawing card for more supporters.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I also would like to see a Forum dedicated strictly to theory. It would be a great place for people who don't know theory or who are trying to learn theory to ask questions. We have some members here with a tremendous amount of knowledge to share.

5. I know very little about theory, and so would have little to add. However, I would have much to gain. I'd like to see a theory forum, just to see what all the fuss is about, and maybe learn something too.

6. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Or...

Maybe we could give tab requests it's own home instead. We already have Technique and General Instruction. If you take a look at General Instruction, most of the non-tab request threads involve some form of theory, whether it's chord structure or time signatures. The rest of the threads could be moved to Miscellaneous, where they should probably be anyway (asking where to find bass teacher isn't really "instruction," in my opinion).

By creating a "Tab Requests" forum, we keep them all in one place. Creating a Theory forum will turn General Instuction into the dumping ground for tab requests. And let's face it, if you don't know ANY theory, you don't know tab AIN'T theory. You'll still get tab requests in the Theory forum too, I guarantee.

This isn't a slam on tab. But if it's a bone of contention, let's give it it's own happy little forum, where like-minded individuals can frolic hip deep in rhythmically-challenged ASCII code. It would truly be the shiznit. :rolleyes: ;)

And please, dear god, let us do it before school lets out...;)

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I've suggested this before, and the idea always got shot down...but I have nothing against it. My point is simply that threads on theory and how to improve as a bassist should not be forced to share space with threads about how to imitate a song in instant gratification mode. The going sentiment from the pro tab faction seems to be that GI is for tab requests, and that anyone who tries to get the point across that tab stifles musical growth is giving lectures because they're mean...in other words, the feeling seems to be, "If you can't give bad advice, don't give any advice at all". That atmosphere is not a fertile breeding ground for intelligent discussion. If a tab request forum were around, it should make both sides happy, as neither would have to deal with the other on the issue.

8. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Personally, the proliferation of tab threads in GI doesn't bother me, because it's just a question of avoiding those threads that don't interest me, but I can see the merit of having a separate forum for either tab requests or theory. I think that one thing that was suggested a while ago was the creation of a forum for "advanced" theory, so GI would cover more basic concepts. As daunting as such a forum would be for a rock moron like myself, I'm sure that it would be very enlightening.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Personally I think a Theory forum would be a good idea - but there is a lot of misunderstanding about what "theory" is and generally the less knowledgeable, tend to lump anything boring or dull in this category.

I also don't see why GI has to be the home for Tab Requests - I mean the vast majority are basically just asking how to search the net....or for somebody to do it for them!

I think that both the terms "General Instruction" and "Theory" are going to be misunderstood and maybe a new term with some clear guidelines about what it means would work better?

Maybe : "Musical Education and Instruction" - with guidelines or just a short sub-title that explains the idea is to help people become better bass players and all-round musicians?

Maybe there could be another guideline that says if you are looking for Tabs click on the archive - if it's not there then seach the net - if you still can't find it then it's time to start thinking about working these things out for yourself! ;)

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Very good points all around. I am in definite support of a forum of this nature. I would be more than willing to moderate or co-moderate said forum. Because of the tab debates, it makes it very difficult to have tab requests in the same forum as the music instruction requests or questions. Because this site receives an inordinate amount of its growth because of the existence of tabs, there's no reason not to tolerate people requesting them, it's only natural. But, for all involved I believe it would be more constructive to have two separate threads. And, as Bruce said, the word "theory" might deter some, (although hopefully it won't).

It's evident we need to correct this situation when we lose someone like DURRL because he's not being respected. If we lose sight of the more valuable members of this board, (that's right, I truly believe DURRL and some others are more valuable to this board than some others!), we're doing a horrible disservice to this community. Think of the number of people he has impacted and helped, compared to your Flea vs. Kool-Aid Man type threads.

We need to nurture the educational part of this site.

11. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I agree as well - there do seem to be separate camps regarding "General Instruction".

I'd like to see this happen, just because then the pointless Pro-Tab vs. Anti-Tab flame wars might actually end! :)

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Im for whatever it takes to keep tab requests out of theory related forums. And more importantly, keeping Durrl around to help educate others about theory. I thought general instruction was just that. General theory instruction. IMO tab requests should not be put in there.

The problems getting out of hand and i fully support whatever it'll take to fix the problem.

Durrl to you I say stand strong man, get back in GI and keep spreading the word. You're knowledge has help teach more ppl there than those who want tabs. and those who dont like what you have to say about tabs...well **** um

dont make mama cass have to grab you're ear and pull ya back in. ;)

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Wow, thanks for all the words of support! I don't want to make a huge deal out of this, nor do I really want to try to make people "take sides"... but it would be nice to see the situation resolved to everyone's satisfaction. I would also be happy to co-moderate such a forum if it was felt that a new forum was needed/desired...if not, and a special tab forum were set up, then I don't see any reason to change anything in GI besides moving the Tab threads, as Chris A. :rolleyes: (aka - ROLLEYES TABEVIL) has always done a very good job of moderating there.

I guess the person we really need to hear from is Paul at this point. Paul? What say you to all of this noise?

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If Paul does not go for separating TaBz, I have another idea that might work.

I could start a thread in Miscellaneous called Tab requests and move any and all tab requests into that thread. Kind of like giving TaBz their own Forum, without creating a new Forum.

15. I think thats a good idea Jeff.

Just bump it up every other day or so to keep it noticable.

16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  17. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'll chime in as well and suggest a new forum.

I think a forum right below GI called "Tab Requests" would be pretty foolproof in deterring GI invasions. Sure, there will be some idiot who doesn't catch on, but moving the occasional post isn't all that difficult. I know there are a bunch of people, myself included, who would be happy to moderate the Tabz forum if it meant cleaning up GI and keeping the valuable members posting.

18. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Well,

When I specifically requested the GI forum (wayy back when), I didn't envision being the keeper of the tab threads. I would be all in favor of clearing them out and having a more "theory oriented" GI. That's more of my area of "expertise", anyway. I think I am as baffled by tabs as my posters are by notation.

Chris A.:rolleyes:

19. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Sorry for not chiming in sooner - I really should check into this suggestion forum more often since I created it :) Just been so busy with other stuff :(

Anyway, some great points made in this thread - Both suggestions have been brought up (theory and tab forums) in the past, but never really got the support needed on either idea (till now it looks like).

I think a TAB forum would be a good solution, place right next to GI. Many users have raised concerns that a TAB forum would only invite slam posts and such, but I think a couple good moderators can take care of that.

I think it'd also be good to put in a sub-text explanation below each forum name, explaining it's purpose (like the pro forums). That way we can clarify that GI is the official home of theory Q's.

What do y'all think about Bruce's suggestion to change GI's name to "Musical Education and Instruction"? Is that too specific?

20. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Sounds fine to me, whatever works. This sounds like it's going to work out great. And I promise to never, ever bother anyone in the Tab forum. No, really. :D