theory frustration!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Fake Trees, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Fake Trees

Fake Trees

Feb 9, 2003
    I'm taking a music theory class at my high school and i am now in the second semester. Last semester i got perfect scores on nearly all our test and was doing well on ear training. Today, the first test of this new semester, i failed, 40%. The test was all ear stuff, The teacher played melodies and we had to write them out on staff. He also played a melody and we had to say if it matched a melody written on the test. Everybody in my class got resonable scores on this test except me. My ear seemed to burn out about halfway through the test. The first half was done reasonably well but the second part i failed miserably. I am etreemly frustrated and disheartend. Has this ever happend to anyone? Have you ever had a day (or a week) were you were absolutley tone deaf?

I know i shouldent be so disheartend because i have only been playing a musical instument for a year and a half while others in the class have been playing piano for their whole life, and this stuff is much harder than the ear training we did last semester. However, I still cant fight the feeling that i have a negative musical disposition. Anyways has anyone else here had this sort of "musical" depression?
  2. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Try not to let it get you down. I get days where maybe I'm too tired or I'm sick to even think at all. Some days my mind is just not there...for no reason. Everybody has those days and those feelings.

I've been playing bass for almost 4 years and I'm still working on my ear. It takes time. For practice, I play scales and chords...slowly at first...not just listening to it, but getting deep inside the note, feeling the note, and listening to it in relation to the note before and after it. And I of course also practice by learning songs off CDs. Being that you're in a theory class, your theory knowledge will help you in your ear training. Have patience and keep practicing. :)
  3. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I heard of this and is common. One of my semi pro recording buddies has a home studio and he has term for it but some people after listening to music for a certain period of time the sounds seem to all run together. He recommeds you take short breaks but it's kind of hard to do in a classroom. It's something that happens to most people.