Theory Headache

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by JazZ-A-LoT, Jan 17, 2003.

1. JazZ-A-LoT

Jan 5, 2003
    Heay guys I love the bass and play constantly. Lately i've been digging into some theory. I get excited about it for maybe like 30 minutes then it just becomes really tedious. I was juts wondering if anyone could give me some tips for staying focused and "excited" about theory.
  2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Try taking a break after the 30 minutes, then come back. Another option is to break up the 30 mins. in to 10 or 15 min. intervals. Say 15 mins. ear training, then another 15 going over scales. Take a break, then come back and practice more.

To keep it fresh, always try and apply what you have learned. Try coming up with various grooves using the scales/modes/arpeggios or whatever you learned that day.
  3. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    That's the ticket really... if you cant find anything to play from just one new pattern then you're doomed!

4. JazZ-A-LoT

Jan 5, 2003
    Thx guys you're right that's the trick
  5. deadweeds

Oct 28, 2002
    Harbor Beach,MI
    Yeah once I started doing that it became more fun and more time was spent learning theory etc. and playing...I think it opens your mind up and you can then see how creative you can be....
  6. JazZ-A-LoT

Jan 5, 2003
    I've actualy been working in a book called "Building Walking bass lines" and I've been learning Chords but not too many scales. Then I take what I learn and maybe walk to Coltrane's Blue Train, Fun song to walk to.
  7. Yes, but you're not 14 years old! You are, presumably, more disciplined and less distracted. (Well, maybe equally distracted, but your discipline compensates for that.)
  8. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
  9. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    No, you just had your birthday which would make you 15. :p

The best advice I hear so far for you, is to encorporate what you learn into new grooves and tunes. That should keep it fun. :)

The most fun I have had though, has been playing with my teacher. It always excites me to see what can be done. And my teacher can see what I like and always directs our studies to progress towards my goals.

I haven't had a lesson in a while due to work and holiday stuff... But i hope to get back into the swing shortly. If you can afford it, you can't beat a good teacher.
  10. JazZ-A-LoT

Jan 5, 2003
    Jizz-A-lot... hhhhhmmmmmmmm.. Mature. I've actualy just finished that book and I've been jamming every day with some gr12 jazz players from my school. Playing with guys that are older than you, really helps. Anways my knowledge of chord tones is pretty good and I've got a nice selection of scales, I was just wondering what the best thing to go to from here would be?? I know there's a lot but what's kind of the next step?
  11. JazZ-A-LoT

Jan 5, 2003
    I dont think age should define how disciplined you are... Man talk about youth stereotypes
  12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Transcribe! Identify sounds that you like on recordings, and find out why you liked them. Then play them, in all 12 keys, so that the sound you heard becomes part of your vocabulary. That way the next time you're playing and you hear that sound - you'll know what to do.
  13. JazZ-A-LoT

Jan 5, 2003
    alright.. give me a tall glass of coke and lock me in my room I'll have that concept down before sunrise :) (I wish)
  14. skaboy

Oct 16, 2001
    I do recommmend the break between each session, have something to drink and just relax out for few minutes. Everybody has their own level of concentration, the average is 30 min before you start to lose it but except it to grows with self discipline.
  15. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

.....And you always say THERE ARE NO MUSIC POLICE....