Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Theory In Practice - Colonizing the Sun

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by thrash_jazz, Nov 25, 2002.

1. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    :eek:

This is in my top two of the craziest, most technical album I've ever heard in my life! These guys definitely live up to their name!

If you are into Swedish-style metal, this is a MUST_HAVE!

Anyone else into this band?

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Never heard them, but it sounds good. What's the other album in your top two?

3. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Errr... not sure exactly, it's probably a three or four-way tie... ;)

SMASH - what was the name of the album you heard? I'd heard some of their older stuff too, but this one crushes their old stuff. I'm not sure if "Colonizing" is new or older though.

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    "Colonizing" is indeed new.

"The Armageddon Diaries" and "Third Eye Function" are their other titles and I've heard them both. IMO Armageddon was quite good, but Third Eye was only so-so.

Still... I'd definitely recommend Colonizing over the other two.

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Hey Adam,

Ever listen to any Spiral Architect?

6. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Hey Prog,

Can't say I have (although I've heard the Sabbath song :p)... Where are they rom? What kind of sound do they have?

I'll run a search and check them out.

7. Tiwaz

Tiwaz

Sep 22, 2002
    Norway
    Spiral Architect play Technical Metal , the bass is really upfront in the mix , Lars K Norberg actually plays with his fingernails :)
    They have influences from WatchTower , Psychotic Waltz , Fates Warning and Cynic , add a good portion of fusion and there you have it : Spiral Architect
    Good songs to check out are "Insect" and "Spinning".
    They are from Norway btw , the drummer (Asgeir Mickelson) is a good friend of mine which also happen to play in my band (Borknagar).
    :)

8. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Thanks Tyr, I will definitely check them out :)

Not meaning to go too far OT here but is Borknagar planning to come to North America? That's one show I have to see sometime.

9. Tiwaz

Tiwaz

Sep 22, 2002
    Norway
    We really want to tour North-America , but we're currently working on our new album. So it will have to be after the release of that one , which I guess will be in the late fall of 2003 at the earliest.

10. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Tyr..

You guys have a CD available? If so where can I pick up a copy? Also, have you heard of Spiral Architect putting out another CD anytime soon?

11. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Hmmmm........

Seems Im gonna have to check out some of Watchtower's stuff.

HEading over to CD Now

12. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Yeah, SMASH, I didn't think too much of Third Eye Function either. The other two are far, far better. Think of a mish mash of Darkane, Cryptopsy, In Flames and Meshuggah and that's as close a way as I can explain "Colonizing". You have to hear it to believe it though.

13. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I checked out some of their sound samples. Good stuff though I've never been a fan of the "guttural" singing style. Musically, though, I really liked it.

14. Tiwaz

Tiwaz

Sep 22, 2002
    Norway
    Yeah , we're currently working on our 6th album (which will be my second with the band).
    We have a website you might want to check out if you need more information:
    http://www.borknagar.com

Spiral Architect are planning a new album , but the writing process in the band is in low gear since Asgeir Mickelson , Steinar Gundersen and Lars K Norberg are busy in other bands/projects at the time.

But there is also another Tech (Death) Metal band in the works now , with Asgeir , Steinar and myself. The name of the band is Decode , I write all the music which is influenced by Cynic , Morbid Angel , Nile and WatchTower :)
    The writing process is moving along at a nice pace , and I expect we'll be doing a preproduction some time in march/april.

15. Tiwaz

Tiwaz

Sep 22, 2002
    Norway
    Btw , have anyone checked out WatchTower's latest release "Demonstrations In Chaos"?

16. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    No... I havent yet... You guys and Watchtower are on the top of my list though.

17. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Also, don't miss the new Darkane "Expanding Senses". Top notch.

18. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Interesting thread. I'm a Sean Malone fan so I've heard of a number of these bands, even though I'm not into metal so much.

Sean played on a few tracks of "Skeptic's Universe", right? And the guitarist from Watchtower (Ron Jarzombek?) plays on Sean's Gordian Knot album.

19. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Gordian Knot was a great disc... Cant wait for his new one to come out! BTW geshel.. Nice Hane's!!

20. Tiwaz

Tiwaz

Sep 22, 2002
    Norway
    Yes , Sean Malone plays stick on one song :)