1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

theory refresher

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by uethanian, Aug 6, 2012.

1. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    here's my situation...i'm a senior undergrad (not in music) and i'm making a big push to get into a dutch carillon conservatory post-graduation. like with any keyboard instrument there's a strong focus on composition and arranging...carillon has an unusually small repertoire so arranging is even more stressed.

so now's the time to get a leg up on my theory. but i haven't really touched the stuff since high school (well, at least western theory). the last thing i did on the classical side was figured bass on harpsichord...on the contemporary side i played jazz piano/bass for a few years. so i know a fair amount of theory. i'm fine with identifying chords and progressions. writing them is another story. i never studied counterpoint, renaissance or baroque...that's probably the biggest hurdle because carillon is really rooted in that stuff.

i'm asking any theory buffs and composers/arrangers here, what areas should i focus on, and what books would you recommend for self-instruction?

very rough video of myself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LztzXRRSf6E&feature=youtu.be

2. fmoore200

fmoore200

Mar 22, 2011
    NYC
    Theory of Harmony by arnold schoenberg is an intense read

3. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    i found a pdf online, i'll look through it

this looks really good, i'll be ordering a copy

would it be worthwhile to work through fux's? i got a few chapters in and it just didn't seem all that applicable...