Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Razgard, Apr 2, 2001.

1. Razgard

Mar 28, 2001
    Beaumont Texas
    Someone told me that when i couldnt play (physical condition, away from home) that i could study theory? What exactly is Bass theory and where do i start with it?
  2. How serious are you about wanting to get into theory? That is, how much do you want to learn? There are different levels of theory depending on what you want to do. If you just want to play rock music, you can probably get away with just learning all the notes on the fretboard and the modes of the major scale ( and the pentatonic and blues scales, of course ). That's a lot more than many players know and enough to keep you busy for a long time.

There is a whole universe beyond that though. I would recommend checking out Arnold Shoenberg's Theory of Harmony. It's pretty hardcore but an amazing book. I haven't gotten too far through it but really want to sit down with it and work through all the examples.

This site is a pretty good place to start:

When you have that stuff nailed, check out my site at:

which has resources that can help you apply the theory to the bass or guitar.

Good luck,

3. Razgard

Mar 28, 2001
    Beaumont Texas
    Thanks man :) this is probably what my teacher wanted me to learn.
    Didnt know exactly what everyone meant by theory, but now i know. Thanks!
  4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

To Dave Grossman, that Music Theory site is a good one. I hadn't been there before. It also has a link to another good theory site I checked out. I'll post that link here, too, as both sites have a lot to offer.

Gary Ewer's Easy Music Theory