Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Chili, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    hey all, i really badly wonna start learning theory, i've bene playing bass for 2 and a half years and everybody whos heard me play says i've learnt what i've learnt quick for how long i've been playing, i love learning new stuff for bass but when it comes to theory i really dont no where to start, i've went through the stickies n stuff but i just get lost in it all and dont no what to learn first, i am into soloing on bass so thats a reason i really need to learn my way round the neck and no my theory, can anyone help me out with what i could learn to start off with? just the very first thing to practice and learn for learning theory
  2. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Learn your scales. Maj, min, Pentatonic to start off with. Then hit the circle of 5ths. Then learn what chords are and how to use them to TAKE OVER THE WORLD. Well, maybe not really.

-Ray :smug:
  3. Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    kool thx, can u give me any links to learn the major and minor pentatonic scales plz?
  4. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    Do you want to play bass or do you want to solo?
    Playing a walking line that's "informed and knowledgeable" is paramount to playing a solo. Bass players that want to be soloists first are usually unemployed. ;)
  5. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Walking bass lines are not solos... and those cats that CAN walk "informed and knowledbeably" are usually getting the high dollar gigs. Just cos this guy wants to learn theory doesn't mean he wants to go off and solo constantly, to me it sounds like he wants to become a better player, and be able to play good grooves, rather than what he's doing now. Yeah, a solo here and there perhaps, but aint nothin' wrong with that. And if you think there is, you should turn on the radio at times.

6. Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    i couldnt of put it better my self, i dont want to be like victor wooten or stu ham (not that theres anything wrong with them) my style of playing bass is mainly funk, brothers johnson, sly and the family stone, lakeside etc, and some rock, chili peppers, the who, and pretty much anything i think sounds good, but when i hear a solo from john entwhistle or Flea i always think they sound awsome and wish i could come up with something like that in a jam or on my own music, i always love to keep a steady groove aswell tho and just sit back and let and listen to what everybody else is doin aswell, i always wonna improv myself with bass and theory seems like the next step now
  7. Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    so could someone give me any sites or pages i can go to, to learn these major and minor scales plz? keeping in mind i cant read music
  8. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    If you really want to learn theory, learning to read music should be one of the first things you tackle.

In the meantime, here's the most basic major scale pattern. This is C major.

C D E F G A B C
  9. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    +1 I would actually argue that you do not know theory until you can read music. Start there, you will find much music theory confusing and frustrating until you can actually read.
  10. ireidt

Mar 6, 2005
    My best advice you you is to get a teacher. a good techer will push you in the right direction, and you will get theory down in no time.

other than that, learn at least a major and minor scales, play them throuht hte circle of 4ths and 5ths, and maybe get a good walking bass book or theory book.

try they have a good selection on theory.
  11. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Patrick Pfieffer's "Bass Guitar for Dummies" is an excellent starting point for learning basic theory and how it applies to the bass. It's around $16 USD on Amazon. Ignore the title, it's an excellent book! Very easy to read with a lot of exercises that apply what he talks about. He also frequents (an excellent site btw), so if you have questions, you can usually get a response from him there. ;)
  12. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    It's obvious ray, from reading your profile, that you haven't gigged very much, now have you?
    After 4,000 gigs and some more theory lessons, you'll be hip. ;)
  13. yes. Listen to Ray,seriously...without his guidance I would be no where as far as theory goes. I remember one night on AIM...

Him: "Duh..."