Therapy Time

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, May 14, 2003.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i guess my parents think that another dose of therapy will help me...

this time im going in for anger managment(so i can release it in more "constuctive" ways) and depression (they read some journal entries i had written about death/dying/suicide)....

i think they are just wasting their money....but o well..

2. Funny....I said the same thing.

give it a chance dude

good luck!
  3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    yeah but i've already gone through this before....not for the anger managment....just depression....and it didn't help

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I've never taken therapy, so I may not know what I am talking about. But MANY of my friends have, or are in therapy now, and ALL of them agree that you only get out of it what yo uut into it.

if you walk in there saying "this won't help, this won't help...etc." it is likely to not help, but if you walk in there thinking "This might not work, given past experience, but I have aged sicne then and am a different person, perhaps I will see things differently, at anyrate I will give it a shot" then you are more likely to benefit from it

just a thought.
  5. i agree; if you have to do it, at least go in with a positive attitude and make the best of it.
    hope you're doin' okay, bro!
  6. i was in therapy for 6 years. and i will tell you, it helped a great deal. you get what you put into it. i thought it would not help me, so at first it did nothing for me. when i finally opened up and started to talk, wow. and i learned how to do many things in there with my emotions, including anger. you have issues if you wrote like that. you need to be positive about it and get something out of it. :)
  7. ask him to hypnotize you. i saw that on TV once and hilarity ensued! you do like hilarity, i hope? otherwise you really DO need therapy.

and that's my catch-22 per the diem.
  8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I went to a shrink once... then we went on a month long road trip and i never went back.

she was odd...
  9. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    AH ha ha ha,,, delightful. You have tickled my funny bone far more times to count. God bless you, as man, and as spirt.

And eat oreos..

I know your affection for them is very high.
  10. Ah! Good luck BP13, hope it all works out well!

And anger management? BAH!! All you need is a few $10 acoustic guitars and basses, petrol, a lighter.... And a gig!!

11. Hey, Micro, you seein' Therapy? tomorrow night, at The Garage?

Good luck, bp13 :cool:
  12. As WR said, people don't change unless they want to. If you don't think that you have a depression or anger problem then nothing a psychologist or psychiatrist will say will help you. If go there open to change then you may find things pick up for you. Psychologists are only able to help those willing to help themselves. They're only there to help you make decisions.

I obviously don't know the situation or the reasons your parents have tried to get you some help. Your parents could simply be over-reacting to usual teenage angst - we've all been through it. Nevertheless, remember that they're just trying to help you out. Atleast give it a shot, either if you think its bull...that way you can honestly tell your parents afterwards whether they've wasted their money or not.

But then again, I'm probably biased - I'm a psych in training...:D