Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

there a time in every young man's life for...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Levi, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Levi

Levi

Apr 4, 2004
    Ok, I'm 16 years old (next 2 months) and work as a janitor at an food place... 10$ hour 2 hours day... I have about 160$ and Want to spend it on pedals.. My question is do I need a volume pedal? an compressor? what is that by the way? What would you say is the best setup for funk / solo ? thanks

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, what sounds are you wanting to get? What kind of bass and amp do you have?

3. Levi

Levi

Apr 4, 2004
    I havn't had much exp with pedal.. Currently I have peavey amp and peavey bass if I was to get another bass it would either be peavey or fender... if it helps i play funk and slap alot.

4. Levi

Levi

Apr 4, 2004
    ????

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, you might want to consider something like a sansamp Bass Driver DI. Good little pedal that gives you a good tubey sound. Also has a good overdrive. Beautiful stuff!

6. Levi

Levi

Apr 4, 2004
    what is an compressor and do i really need a volume pedal?

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Compressor evens out the attack from the first hit of a note, and sustains it longer usually. It can tighten up the sound depending on how you set it. A volume pedal is useful if you are using a lot of effects, and with a comressor or overdrive and many other effects too, they react differently. When you turn down the bass, they can sound different. Putting the volume AFTER the effects will not effect how they react, but it will make them quieter.

8. Levi

Levi

Apr 4, 2004
    o i see so it makes it more smooth and as to choppy?

thanks

9. Levi

Levi

Apr 4, 2004
    and what about accented notes?

sorry im asking so many questions

10. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    You can adjust the level of compression to suit your needs. If you find that by using a compressor you are unable to distinguish the difference between accented notes then you are probably using to much of it.
    The biggest grumble about compressors is that they can kill dynamics. IMO that's just because the compressor is being over used or hasn't been set up properly.
    Many people around here would argue that compressors are not essential. I'm not sure if I would use one if I didn't have as many other pedals on the go. I have seven others in my band and I need my sound as tight as possible- I'm already enough of a sound engineers nightmare as it is. :meh:
    If you practice playing a passage through a range of dynamics- start with a tune/peice you're comfortable with and begin with loud medium and quiet. When you're comfortable-squeeze another level into that. Keep going until you can get at least 6 levels.

It shouldn't be too much of a challenge, but it's a practice routine that seriously helps controlling the dynamics of your playing, and may cut out the need for a compressor entirely.
    think of a whisper up to a roar then down to a whisper again you may find you don't need one.

A lot of people find an eq helpful for alternating between and good slap and a good fingerstyle tone.

11. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    I use my compressor because when I play with my fingers it's one volume, and when I slap it's a lot louder. A compressor "smooths" out the volume levels so everything is about the same volume. That's about the simplest I can put it.

I've never had a practical use for a volume pedal myself. Wahs and filters are good for funky stuff. Overdrives are good for distorted bass tones. Chorus is a cool effect, though not used as often as it used to be. It just depends on the tones you want as to what pedal is more important to you. For a slapper like yourself, I would suggest a compressor first.

12. Samurai

Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    California
    I hardly ever see this mentioned of a compressor but it can make your bass have a different sound. Just like chorus or overdrive, a compressor can have a global change. You’ll hear about how it kills dynamics or can be used to protect against when you hit the strings too hard, but there isn't a lot of talk about how a compressor can make your tone punchier or accent certain nuisances that only compression can bring out. Try one out and see how you like it.