1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

There ain't any funk in Australia

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by digbymiserables, May 30, 2007.

1. digbymiserables

digbymiserables

May 28, 2007
    Australia
    ok, well, there's some great funky groups in Australia... but I can't find the right one for me.

I'm 34, playing since I was about 10. You can hear samples of my playing at www.myspace.com/funkpot. I'm no wizard, but I'm no slouch either. I love playing funky bass grooves, percussive slap stuff, anything with a bit o funk really.

I recently left a 7 piece cover band that I had started, because the guitarist, saxophonist, and singer, had all agreed to begin playing more rock n roll, less funk. I wasn't enjoying it anymore, and left.

Now, I'm struggling to find like-minded musicians. I want to write and play funk music, and I've been auditioning with people, but the light at the end of the tunnel is dim.

I'm sick of electric guitar driven groups, and our best local resource (www.melband.com.au) is full of guitarists, and has very limited scope for bass players into funk.

Any relevant comments are appreciated.

Dig.

2. Perthbands.com and Musolist.com and the Perth scene is pretty much the same.

Just replace "rock" with "metalcore", slash the available venues by about 4/5ths to yours, and send all the decent prospects your way for viable promotion, and thats our scene. So thanks for stealing all the rock players I want :)

I'll speak to the funk guys I know here about the scene over where you are. I know at least 3 people at work who regularly play funk gigs in Perth. If you don't hear from me through this post in a few days, PM me to remind me to get onto it for you again mate :)

Any funk dialogues welcome too buddy my funk repertoire is Play That Funky Music, and the band want me to run with an open jam on it, so lately I've been cramming Jamiraquai (sp?) and James Brown/Bootsy. It's a different genre to what I'm used to :)

3. Oh, and PS. Here's a link to the situation for bass players in Perth:

This thread has expletives includes f and c etc as it's a much more local, lesser user base and over 18 type forum.

http://perthbands.com/forum/index.php?topic=2437.0

No prizes for hazarding a guess what handle I use on there :)
    Also check out tilted windmills' ad under Musicians Wanted that went a little nuts too...

4. digbymiserables

digbymiserables

May 28, 2007
    Australia
    Depth_Charge... you rock! Thank you so much for posting on this thread.

Do you have a myspace? Does your band have one?

I've never been to Perth, but it's second on my last of places to see next.

I've heard it said that Melbourne has the best live music scene in Australia, followed by Perth, then a few of the larger rural towns (such as Newcastle) - do you think this is a fair assessment?

Digby.

5. yep i got your problem, your in perth. all the good funk bands are from melbourne the cat empire, custom kings. Come to a stkilda festival and yu should hear some good ones FOR FREE. Pert is WA right? yea there great for indie and altern rock but not funk. Melbourne is Australias live music capital.

and best city aswell :p

6. :cool:
    And my pleasure ;)

No for me. And not yet for the band but I am re-building the bands' website and will probably post a link to TB when I finish the logo's and post it up.

Last places? Haha. OK.
    When you do make it let me know hey.

Well, StoreFront Church are on the way up out of Perth, and want to head to Melbourne. I loved the music but missed out on the audition. SO EVERYBODY, SUPPORT THEM!!!

www.myspace.com\storefrontchurch

I don't have the experience to make a personal assessment but IME trying out for bands in Perth over 11 odd years, thats what I've heard yes - "Gotta be in Melbourne to get anywhere".

Ever hear of AC/DC? Bon Scott was born in Freo mate. Thats i WA too.
    Allegiance? Rawkus? SFD? Vanadium? Storefront Church? Lacrymae? Perth was and is mainly metal and hard pub rock, then indie and funk (chics here dig go-go'ing woohoo), then covers bands who are hated by the original mobs with a passion because we dominate the pub/club/money scene :D

And yeah the best football team came out of Melbourne too, but now they bound all over the place like Kangarooo's do ;)

7. phippsyg

phippsyg

May 28, 2007
    Sydney
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Optima Strings
    Know exactly where your coming from. We want the funk.

8. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    TCE are a funk band? :confused:

I thought they were hipster-doofus-pop-latin-jazz. :D Guess I'll have to listen to some of their stuff again.... :bassist:

9. 00Funk

00Funk Inactive

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    Im giving up the funk. Funk it

10. K-T

K-T

May 25, 2007
    tasmania, australia
    tassie has has no funk, so i better move

11. umm well i beg to differ about the good bands in WA IMO all the bands u listed suck. eskimo joe are one of the only good WA bands i can think of

and i don't care about football

12. On your knees and beg then! I could care less you don't like metal music or those bands in specific.

It's funny, I think Eskimo Joe write sucky songs. Honest. Not just saying it to prickly. They have the most cliched songs they all sound familiar like movie music from 20 years ago and I just have never really gotten into what they write its like being a kid again. They are successful, no argument there. good luck to them.

And for the amount of money the game generates your fair city you bloody well should IMO.

13. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    yeah theres no funk where i am aswell, everyone is pretty much playing the same thing, well the people i usually run into anyway, i really should move country or something lol

i hope you find the funk! you deserve it

14. digbymiserables

digbymiserables

May 28, 2007
    Australia
    Back to the mothership?

15. so where is the best place to get some funk in Perth? i've been here for 5 months, and everything seems to be revolving around indie rock stuff here

16. DaRK_CaRNiVaL

DaRK_CaRNiVaL

Sep 13, 2005
    Australia
    My favourite band out of Perth is Karnivool, they aren't funk but they sure rock :p

17. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    i love the funk

18. well now i'm finishd with trying to prove melbourne rules i see it as there is not much funk anywhere but your best bet is to go to summer msc festivals, preferably foreshore or bayside

19. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Inactive

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    i played a gig at the cooperage on the same bill as a funky soul band, they were pretty funky.

20. Funk fiction has just reformed and doing gigs at the Evelyn again. The best funk band Ive ever seen. Robbie Little on Bass just cruisin it. Cant wait to see them again. I was over in pearth with a country band a few months back & saw this cover band at Freo called "Flavour"?? Not bad & the lead singer also swaped with the bass player for a tune or two. Quite enjoyable!!! Cheers,
    Rusty

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021