Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

There are a lot of Great Bass Players in the world.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Aug 31, 2001.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

And in the past, there have been even more. And it's possible to have a large number of favourites for different reasons.

So why do we always have to have 'xxxxx' vs. 'yyyyyy' or who is the best? Surely it's best to listen to as many great players as you can and not limit yourself in terms of influences and ideas for playing?

As far as I'm concerned, I want to listen to Jaco, Stanley Clarke, John Patitucci, Jah Wobble, Marcus Miller etc etc. and like their music for different reasons. Plus comparisons seem to be possible, but not to say that one is a "better" player than another - they're all great in their own way.

Because I like Jaco why would that mean I have to like somebody else any less? To say there is only one person who's the best, just makes no sense to me - it would be like living in a world where I'm only allowed to eat one thing - like chocolate - if that was the case, I'm sure I would become heartily sick of it in a very short time!

And as that is undoubtedly the case, what purpose can possibly be served by having debates to this end?

2. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    My sentiments exactly. Just because a bassist has better "chops" does not automatically mean they are a better bassist. Every bassist is unique in their own way, and we can always learn from every bassist we listen to as well as each other.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    But, Bruce, don't you get it? Flea is cool, so he must be a better bass player! I mean, he plays naked... :rolleyes:

Yeah, I never understood the whole 'x vs y--who is better' thing, either. I remember when the guitar magazines would have the "Jimi Hendrix, or Randy Rhoads," or the "Van Halen vs Malmsteen" issues. I thought it was silly then, too.

I just try to ignore these debates. I use my "turn the channel" technique--I just don't open those threads....

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Agree completely. I ignore those threads. They seem to exemplify one of the more spectacular ways of missing the point of music entirely.

It's about like arguing about whether enchiladas are better than sushi. You may *like* one more than another, but what does that have to do with better or worse?

5. Bruce Lindfield

I try, but in some forums, like this one, you come along some days and all you see are threads like this. I suppose it's easy and a lowest common denominator thing. Whereas, it's harder to say what it is that makes a player's sound unique or what they have contributed to bassplaying - like Jaco's artificial harmonics or Marcus' double thumbing and bright active sound.

It just makes me think the whole place is really populated by people who know nothing about bass playing, but just want to tick a box or say "xxxx is great" or "yyyyyy sucks". I think there could be lots of interesting debates about, but all we get is this black/white, "who's the best" thing - how long does it take people to realise that life isn't like that?

6. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I agree,
    but hey, at least Van Halen plays with a lot of feel..... a thing Malmsteen doesn´t have and never will.... hes music makes me sleep

7. You know Bruce, I agree on the futility of these types of threads, but c'mon! This forum is open to anyone who wishes to join, and as long as they don't break the rules they're free to discuss whatever they choose. If YOU don't like a particular topic then YOU don't have to read it. Like Bassmonkeee and RL said, ignore it. Talkbass is not overrun by these types of threads. There are plenty of excellent discussions here. Perhaps if you stopped perseverating on these 'vs.' threads, it wouldn't seem like such a problem.

As far as how long it will take people to learn that life isn't black & white? Probably the same amount of time it took me when I was that age.

Frankly, your constant complaining (you must be thrilled with the latest forum update. you can now have your :rolleyes: with a single click of the mouse) is just as annoying as "Who's better: Flea or Mark Hoppus?"

Shouldn't this be in Off Topic? :rolleyes:

;)

8. Bruce Lindfield

I don't see this as complaining, but rather as "asking for what you want" or "attempting to redress the balance".

If a certain type of behaviour or trend is not comented on or pointed out as irritating then how are people going to know that what they are doing is annoying some people?

If everybody only ever says positive things about everything, then it just carried on regardless. My view is that if I don't liek something then I should say something about it and not just ignore it or else I would just be dishonest in my view.

To me this is just the same as saying - "oh ignore those vandals tearing down your garden fence" go somewhere else for a bit of peace and quiet.

My view is that Talkbass is what we make it and what we put into it and just being postitive aboyt everything or ignoring it is just going to give the message that it's alright and set a "group norm" or "standard" to which people match their behaviour.

For example there have been loads of complaints in "General Instruction" about demands for Tabs and this has had the positive effect of reducing this type of thing and sparking a lot of debates about why Tabs are band for you. If people had just ignored these, I'm sure the whole place would be swamped with - posts along the lines of "Tab this bass solo for me now!! " :rolleyes:

We are always told in the UK that people in the US are the most demanding customers and are not frightened of asking for exactly what they want - it seems our US members are more timid than average? ;)

9. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I don't think people from the US. are timid, maybe just more able to focus on the important things and not worry about what doesn't matter. Sort of like in WAR, the object is to kill people and break things, not marching in a straight line wearing pretty red jackets. ;)
    I don't don't pay any attention to the silly TAB threads so they don't bother me, but it probably is important to the people writing and reading them.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Well I'm putting my point of view - you seem to be saying that I shouldn't put my view and should rather ignore things I don't like. My view is that if everybody just ignores things they don't like, then we're not making anything of it! We're just leaving it to the "virtual vandals" to do as they will.

My point is that if I ignored everything I didn't like on TB then I would just not come here at all!! ;) But the point is that, it has improved and has developed and this has been on the basis of people saying what they liked and what they didn't like, but not from just people ignoring stuff - on that basis, 99.99% of the world's population are ignoring TalkBass - so what comment are they making?

12. No! Again I'm not saying don't present your views. I'm responding to them with my ideas on the subject, my suggestions. After all you did post with the intent of having a discussion, yes?

OK I'll break it down to the most basic level. Your original question was:

And my answer is, because there are active members of talkbass who wish to participate in those threads, and are free to do so.

Likewise you are free to respond in those threads your displeasure with them. But instead of calling for these types of threads to cease, wouldn't it be more productive to use that opportunity to show the posters in question the err of their ways? And if you don't want to do that, what's the harm in steering clear of them?

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Whoooosh

14. I apologize for that, Angus saw a plane out his window and he got sidetracked.

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    shouldn't this be in bassists?

whooooosh!

16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    But this isn't about Bassists anymore! :(

17. Brad Johnson