There are a lot of old men here....should I buy a Buick?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by capnjim, Mar 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    I figure this would be a good place to ask. I am 52, and my back gets a bit sore when driving my current car. Its old, noisy, bumpy etc....
    I have around 6k to spend on something else. (Sold my beloved '66 P-bass and a nice old Gibson)

I'm in Montreal Canada. 6k does not get much. Almost every car I look at has 150,000-250,000km. Its nuts.
    But....there is one Buick Allure (Lacrosse in US) 2005, with only 35,000km. The guys aunt had it and she only went to the store with it. Never drove it in the rain or snow.
    Plus, its 4900$, well under my budget.
    I have never owned an american car, it seems to have good reviews. Is anyone familiar with this model?
    For some reason, I am really reluctant to buy a 12 year old Buick.

The other car I am looking it is another identical story, my friends aunt left him his 2007 Camry with 37,000km on it. Its 7000$. Is it worth the extra 2500$ to have a Camry???
    Whaddya think??
    Thanks

2. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

If it was me, I would get the Buick just cause I like the styling better than the Toyota.

2007_toyota_camry_sedan_xle-v6_fq_oem_4_500.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    nixdad likes this.
  3. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie Gold Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    These days, mileage on a car isn't what it was when we were young. If an automobile is properly maintained 150k is still well within it's usable lifespan. I recently sold a vehicle in excess of 150k on the odometer that I wouldn't have hesitated to drive cross country. If it is solid and has oil pressure, then I would make sure the vehicle has the back support that you mention and folks of our generation need. Just make a small investment with a mechanic you trust to give the car a good once over and make sure it is a solid vehicle. Good luck.

nixdad likes this.
  4. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    I know that high mileage cars are fine. I have never owned a car with less than 150,000km. The thing is, in Quebec our roads are horrible. You really can't imagine unless you live here. So I really am looking for something with lower mileage.

5. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie Gold Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    I imagine probably a lot of salt corrosion and the like....... I did own a little older Buick some years ago in response to your original question. I bought it as a fist car for my teenage son. Mechanically it was a solid car and served him well for several years.

nixdad likes this.
  6. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    seems like a good buy.

nixdad likes this.
  7. fingerguy

fingerguy

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    My first car at 16 was a 1984 Buick Regal. That thing was in the garage every single week!

I will never buy a Buick.

INTP and Killed_by_Death like this.
  8. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Had me a 1968 GS400 when I first started driving. Wish I still had that baby, it was fast n sweet. It was not to be for I was young, poor, and stupid.
    My neighbor behind me loves em. A kid at work gets his dad's hand me downs. They are sweet, like a mobile Barkolounger. A comfortable couch and living room you can drive.

hondo4life likes this.
  9. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore? Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    BUICK!!!!

I was very impressed when I borrowed my Mom's, and my kids liked the extra room.

nixdad likes this.
  10. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    IMHO Camry.
    And yes, have a mechanic look at it first.

11. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    What year and model was it?

12. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore? Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    She had two of the Lacrosse model. Maybe an '08 and a '12ish? Don't remember for sure. She loved them both, would have gotten a third but Buick introduced the Envision, she went with that instead.

13. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Between the two, I'd say go for the Buick. In 2005 it likely had the 3800 V6 Series III which is a very good, very durable engine with surprisingly good fuel economy (14 L/100 km city, 8.4 L/100km hwy). 35,000 km (21,000 miles for us 'Merikins) is ridiculously low mileage. There have been times when I have done that much in a year.

BTW - The reason it is called "Allure" in Canada is because the original name (LaCrosse) was found to translate to a rather vulgar insult in French-Canadian communities.

hondo4life likes this.
  14. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Toronto
    The average age of a Buick buyer is 68. Stay young a bit longer....
    Go with the Camry. 7k is a but steep as it's 10yrs old already. Even with only 37k on it the body and frame have seen 10 winters and as an owner of a 2007 Corolla with low k's I can tell you honestly that the engine may never die but the car will eventually fall apart around it.

15. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Thats kind of whats going on with my car right now. Its a 1999 Toyota Solara with 180,000km. Still runs and works perfectly, but just feels tired and worn out. Not so much the mileage, but almost 20 Quebec years of driving. The good thing with the Buick and the Toyota, is they were owned by elderly women who would simply stay home if it was snowing or raining.
    I am looking at them both this week. I love Toyota, but I'm not sure if its worth 2500$ extra.

16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Ha! Probabky had that same 3.8 V6 that every other car on the road had back then. I would say nothing from any maker in 2005 bears any resemblance to anything any maker put out in '84.

20 years in car years is like a century....and not a Buick Century. ;)

17. fingerguy

fingerguy

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    I am sure you are right, but that really left a bad taste in my mouth. For instance I really like the Ford Explorer and their Ford F150 but their history back in the day (Found on Road Dead) makes me cautious about going in that direction.

18. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    It isn't. The Buick would be a good car.

malthumb and Mktrat like this.
  19. OldDog52

OldDog52 Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Buick.

20. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I'm not helping here. I knew a sales manager for a Buick dealership here. He said the average Buick buyer was 73. The Rendezvous was aimed at a younger market. The average buyer was 63! I'd say get the Buick though.