Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

There are nickels living under my pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by wesman, Feb 19, 2004.

1. wesman

wesman Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    While troubleshooting the annoying hum my P-Bass Lyte has developed I discovered nickels...actual US nickels... underneath all of my pickups. I bought the thing new in '89 and I was wondering if it was a common practice for Fender to tweak the machine in this way. Oh, and I'd also like advice on how to fix the hum. It sounds like crappy grounding, but the electronics guys can't find any problem with it. Could it be a shielding issue?

2. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    are you serious!?!?! That doesnt sound right. Where were the P-bass Lyte's made? Mexico or USA?

3. wesman

wesman Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    I'm quite serious. It was made in the USA according to the paperwork. I did some experimenting, and I actually like the sound better with the pickups closer to the strings that way. The machine is a freak to begin with. It's a a P-Bass lyte w/ a rosewood jazz neck, which I filed the frets off of.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    As long as you don't feed them after midnight and never, ever get them wet, no problem.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Wow, sounds like you got a bit of a discount! :p

It's kinda wierd, I can't imagine that serving much of a purpose besides adjusting pickup height though.

6. wesman

wesman Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Oh, I love the thing. As weird as it is, it sounds great (or did before the hum), and it's a delight to play. Any suggestions on the hum?