1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

There are no dumb questions, but this one is pretty close.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jatlasb, May 22, 2011.

1. jatlasb

jatlasb

May 10, 2011
    So, I'm pretty new to this whole thing, and I'm looking to install new pickups on my bass. So I have a really dumb n00b question:

Are humbucker p-bass pickups sold one bar each or as a paired set?

2. chaotick

chaotick

Aug 15, 2006
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    I've only ever seen sets. I don't think you'd want to mix-match them anyway.

3. Basshoofd

Basshoofd

Jan 14, 2009
    Netherlands
    They will be sold as a pair. I can't imagine anyone selling only half a pickup unless it's specifically requested.

4. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    They are here:

Bass Parts Resource: Genuine Fender P Bass Pickups

The s1 switching P Bass pickups..... though I don't know why... The Humbucking P as a set of ONE pickup is the REAL sound.

The only thing I can think of would be for the s1 style of wiring.... who needs it with a P ?? That's a J Bass trick.

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I don't know why that half would be different... but you can wire a P bass pickup in series or parallel. That's what the S1 switch would do. You can do the same thing with a push/pull pot.

I used to have series/parallel on all my basses with P pickups.

@jatlasb, keep in mind that half a P pickup wont be a humbucker, since you need two coils to cancel hum. The DiMarzio Split-P is actually two complete humbuckers.

6. jatlasb

jatlasb

May 10, 2011
    Okay. Thanks!

Jeff

7. mikeGJ

mikeGJ Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Grand Junction, CO
    Kind of like sushi or egg rolls, "one order, two pieces".

The two pieces will be wired together, as the are one pickup.