Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"There is a big pile of money for everybody sitting in that internet, but everyone

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by XIbanez4lifeX, Feb 11, 2006.

1. XIbanez4lifeX

XIbanez4lifeX

Nov 15, 2005
    Ohio,USA
    is not smart enough to get to it."

This older guy told me this today at the pawn shop. He has his own business on the side.

Pretty much a true statement or not?

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I think that the internet offers the capability for anyone with a novel idea, some luck and a product to make a sizable amount of money fairly easily.

Even though the .com bubble came and went and expectations for the internet gold mine were hyped up and unfulfilled. There is still the very real fact that the internet offers unbridled access to millions of people instantly.

One example of how this can make someone rich is the million dollar homepage. A college student wanted to think of a way to pay for college. So he decided to make a website and sell it for ad space. It is a simple and stupid idea, but the reason it took off and made him a million dollars is because he took a novelty approach. He said "$1 per pixel for permanent adspace on my website"

He got the story picked up on a couple news outlets. Eventually, it got picked up by one of the major internet watch sites(like boing boing or fark), and boom he made a million dollars.

Consider if you were selling CDs and T-shirts on your personal website. Then your personal website is linked to from Fark or slashdot because you have some peculiar novelty on it. Suddenly, you'll get millions of hits on your site everyday for a month or so, and, if your server can withstand the abuse, you'd potentially have thousands of CD and shirt sales just by default, even album or shirt wasn't that spectacular.

But, that's not to say it's easy or anything, it's mostly luck related, and it could easily turn out the other way too where you become the laughing stock of the internet for a month and never have a chance at succeeding ever again.

heh.