There is a short cut to practice.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by zyxwfish, Dec 12, 2002.

1. zyxwfish

Dec 12, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    THe dyna flex found on this web site Exercisers#Hand Exercisers
    This device makes it feel like you've practiced 2 hours before you pick up your bass. You still have to practice but this thing wakes up your arms fingers and mind. It's a gyroscopic ball that gains mass as you spin it. It mimics finger picking and fretting with the left hand. It is a short cut but you still have to practice. I highy recommend it. I was able to increase my speed to 16th notes at 160 beats per minute with in a month of using this thing. It strengthens your fingers arms and mind in a short time. Don't get those finger exersizers from the music shop they don't work this thing does. It's my bible.
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

though it does look kind of fun :p
  3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    You're kidding, right?

When they invent the Cola that gives you perfect ear, and teaches you inversions, and modes, let me know.

Oh---but, good luck on finding the "Bass Player Wanted" ad that calls for 16th notes at 160 BPM. sounds like you're the one they want. ;)
  4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    It is impossible for the device to gain mass. Mass for a manufactured object is fixed.
  5. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Cut the guy some slack. This isn't any different than me doing forearm and wrist exercises at the gym. Having hands and forearms that are in shape can only help your bass playing, and he freely admits that it is no substitute for practicing - its obviously not going to teach you anyting about music.
  6. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden that's funny !!

7. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    zyxwfish has only 7 posts as I write this... That makes me wonder if this post is actually an advertisement.
  8. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Well, the winky smily should have shown you that I was kidding around with him. Having hands and forearms that are in shape are very important, I agree. But, at the same time, why buy a gimmicky prop when rubber bands around your fingers will have the same effect? Working out is working out. It's not exactly a secret.
  9. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I was wondering about that one too!

I suppose, technically, it can gain mass, but it would have to be moving at a speed approaching the speed of light. I assume you're not likely to get it moving that fast ;)
  10. skaboy

Oct 16, 2001
    I am a man and I use weights.
  11. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Speak for yourself, noodle-arms. :D
  12. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO

Word! Stupid companies making up fake science... :rolleyes:
  13. Have any of you ever used this device? I have for a couple of years when I had wrist problems, and the thing flat works.

Imagine holding a bicycle wheel in your hands while it's rotating, then you try to turn it. It puts a reactionary force perpendicular to the axis of rotation, you can use the right hand rule to figure out what it's going to do. Now shrink this down to a ball that's allowed 3 degrees of freedom along w/ that (rotation about X,Y,Z). So it changes the force that you have to use to hold it as it moves inside the outer sphere. It's truely omnidirectional in the way it acts. It'll strengthen your forearms/shoulder by using it. If you can keep it going for 10 min, you're doing very good.

Try it before you bash it people. The marketing claims may be BS, but that's because someone from marketing wrote it. The operation is sound.

EDIT: The marketing claims are fine, but zyxwfish's claim that it gains mass is incorrect. It gains momentum and the inertia of the device changes, bot of which are related to mass. But other things change besides mass.
  14. Interesting, tufnuts. I actually had to do something similar with a bicycle wheel in a physics lab, and that's the kind of thing I assumed he meant, even though I commented on the conservation of mass thing in the other thread he posted this in.

Out of curiosity, what kind of wrist problems would one use that thing for?
  15. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    zyxwfish :-

Why did you email me? There was no need, you may as well have just posted it in this thread.

Dude, this is bull**** (and I'm not just talking about your spelling!). Ok, let's put your claim that it "weighs nothing when still" aside for a moment, and look at the fact that you said it gains mass.

This is crap. Like Pac said, it cannot gain mass. Weight and mass are not the same thing. Weight is a force, mass isn't. Even if it could weigh nothing when still, like you say - that wouldn't change its mass, only its weight. If you went to the moon, you would weigh less. But do you seriously imagine that your mass decreases? It doesn't. Weight is not mass, and its mass does not change.

Secondly, neither does its weight. Because, weight is caused by gravity acting on it. And I suspect, that it doesn't have the power to turn off gravity!!! If it weighed nothing, then when you let go of it, it would be floating in the air, like an astronaught in space.

Where the hell did you get this 'info' from? It's not mentioned on the website you posted.
  16. Secksay

Secksay Guest

Sep 6, 2002
    New York, NY
    those things have been around forever. barely anyone bought them when it was released, and barely anyone has them now. they are more a novelty than anything.
  17. zyxwfish

Dec 12, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    All right i'm a moran it dosen't gain mass it just weighs more when you spin it. I know I can't spell just give it up. Kill me please show up at my house and blow my brains out I want all of you too. stop wasting your time proving me wrong. I AM WRONG. IT's just centrifigual force. It dosen't gain mass. It just warms up your hand and arm
  18. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    It doesn't gain weight either.
  19. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    On the web site it, it says that it can generate up to 35 pounds of TORQUE. That means it feels like it weighs 34 lbs. It FEELS LIKE it. So zxywfish is just misunderstood what the web site was saying.

It generates a force of 35 pounds by the centrifugal/centripital force of the thing in the center.

Everyone take a breather, and stop debating the laws of physics, ok? :)

To be honest, I am interested in it. I think I am going to add that to my christmas list....
  20. only twenty bucks? i think i might check this thing out.