Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

There is a way to get non-tapered strings to fit the Warwick bridge?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fozzy, Jun 22, 2004.


  1. fozzy

    fozzy

    Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    There is a way to get non-tapered strings to fit the Warwick bridge? Any pictures, instructions ?



    :mod note: sorry, no edit, I just hit the "edit" button instead of reply. My bad.
    -Brendan
     
  2. Brendan

    Brendan

    Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    5 minutes and a Dremel tool.

    That's about it, really. Get ahold of a Dremel tool with a ginding bit. Don't worry, they come in the right size, it's what I used to modify my nuts for BEAD stringing (that sounded terrible).

    Grind down the bridge saddle to accomodate a B string, and then get a buffing/sanding bit, and make sure it's smooth. If there are burrs or edges left on the new saddle groove, you're in for a heap of broken strings. I learned this the hard way.

    If you don't feel comfortable doing it, find someone who is (doesn't have to be a luthier, this isn't a precision mod here), and let fly. It's pretty simple, you just need to make sure about those burrs I mentioned, and you're good to go with non-tapered strings.
     
  3. fozzy

    fozzy

    Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    But how about string modifying ??
     
  4. NJL

    NJL

    Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    you can try getting some needle nose pliers and "squeezing" the end at the location that it meets the tailpiece. i think this is on the actually warwick website.

    i don't know if this is the best solution, but it should work.

    check the website...

    :)
     
  5. fozzy

    fozzy

    Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    I checked the website, but i need some visual helpers, pics, how to do that correctly! That's all :D
     
  6. Deep

    Deep

    May 8, 2002
    NY
    That's what I used to do. Get a pliers and SQUEEZE the part that won't fit in the tailpiece. It worked well. Might take a little elbow grease, but it works. I'd rather do that than mod the bass.