Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

There is no cure for G.A.S.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I thought I'd beat Gear Acquisition Syndrome once and for all. I'm mostly a one bass at a time kind of guy, and I've found a keeper. For months I've been completely happy with my bass and my amp. I really don't have the room to own multiple basses and amps, but I do have a combo amp and a cheap bass in storage in case I ever have a bass emergency and need a back up for any of my main gear. I'm really not into effects and still haven't had the desire to start playing around with effects, so no GAS pains there. I bought a fancy tuner, a nice strap, strap locks, good cables and back up cables. I thought I was completely set and there wasn't another thing that I wanted or could possibly need. Then, just when I least expected it, I had a severe case if GAS sneak up on me and before I knew it I had ordered up a cassette based four track recorder with a mic, and also a drum machine. Time to start working on that demo, collecting ideas, and seeing how much of an interest I really have in multi track recording. I didn't see this one coming, but the GAS built quickly and by the time I realized how much I wanted these things there was no chance of fighting it. Yet another reminder that no matter how good you've got it, no matter what's going on - GAS will always get you. Ain't it great!