1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

There is no way to make this look good...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Texan, Dec 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Today is my wife and I's 12th wedding anniversary. Its also the day that my brand new Fender American Standard Jazz bass was delivered. She doesn't care when I buy gear because I use gig money to make the purchases. But given that fact that I knew that we would likely be gone when FedEx arrived, I had the shipment sent to a FedEx store a couple of miles away.

I got the message saying that the bass was ready for pickup when I was taking our kids to my parents house for the night and picking up Roses and a card. I wrote a sappy note to my wife in the card while in the parking lot of the store. I swung by FedEx, got the bass then headed home. Not sure how I would explain, I decided to just be forward about the situation.

I got home grabbed the bass, tucked the card and roses inder my arm and went in the house. As shes looking at the bass box and I'm handing her the roses amd card, I looked her square in the eye and said "there is no way to make this look good." Luckily, she laughed. Then, shaking her head, she said, "This will make good story for that bass website you go to..." Yep, she was right.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  2. Howlin' Hanson

Howlin' Hanson Lighter cabs, please.

Sep 3, 2007
    Austin TX
    At least you can walk in the front door with your new basses. Unlike when my wife discovers a newcomer bass in the storage unit.... :)

snarebear, jp58, birdman14 and 3 others like this.
  3. Congratulations!
    Firstly, u got you a good wife. Treasure her. Hard to find these days.
    and secondly, u got a nice bass too...

4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    One reason why I'm single:

single.

:woot::roflmao::bassist:

Gaolee, Radio, bassbully and 24 others like this.
  5. audreycashin

audreycashin Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    long island, ny
    Honey, you didn't meet the right one... Still trying to figure out if I own more of the basses than he does

Real Soon, GregC, Scott C. and 7 others like this.
  6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    You better not be on this forum (or touch that bass) tonight.

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah my wife is the opposite. She's an enabler. She tried her best to talk me into buying a '63 P bass at Carter Vintage in Nashville over the Summer. I need that thing like a hole in the head. But she all but called me the P word for not buying it. :D

Good story, OP. Cool wife.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  8. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Maybe you do need a home in your head!

:roflmao:

9. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    She's incredible. She's the best part of me.

...and here's the bass...
    20161222_234810_zpsvjbkyuu7.

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Ha! Fixed. Not much has a home in this head.
    :wacky:

mrb327 likes this.
  11. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    That is sweet ... enjoy

12. Congrats on the anniversary and the new bass. The wife and I just had our 24th! on the 13th of this month she is the best thing that ever happen to me.

Imaginary Pony, covermego and pcake like this.
  13. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Happy Anniversary, to both of you... from the looks of it, the missus will be getting roses for awhile...

14. Madhouse27

Madhouse27 Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2016
    Life is good when you've got a sweet bass and a cool wife (or the other way around).

L Anthony likes this.
  15. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Not sure I understand the story...what was it exactly that didn't look good? The fact that your bass came in (and you picked it up) on your anniversary?

If it doesn't bother her when you buy new gear (as you said it doesn't, because you exclusively use gig money), then...? :thumbsdown:

16. travep

travep Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Congrats to you and your wife. Love this story!

And thanks to my fiancee (and TBer bass1107) for colluding with my mom for this awesome Christmas present...I did play it before wrapping it and placing it under the tree. You know...just to make sure it wasn't damaged during shipping :)

Attached Files:

GregC, Strung_Low and tryinalearnDan like this.
  17. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I can't believe these words are coming out of my mouth.................but here it goes, if we buy ourselves some bass gear, then we have to buy something of equal value for our wives or give to them the cash value.

Puts the brakes on GAS spending.

18. mikeyjm2

mikeyjm2 Keepin' it simple.

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Congrats on your new J and, more importantly, on 12 years! Many happy returns.

19. No Malarky

No Malarky

May 27, 2010
    This thread pleases me.

20. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Thems are some of the most loving words a spouse could ever possibly mutter :). And there's truth beyond the surface of that.