There is nothing quite like breaking a string

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by thekyle, Jan 21, 2006.

1. thekyle

Dec 25, 2005
    Breckenridge, CO
    I've been playing shows for about 8 years, and I can honestly say I had never broken a string while on stage. Until last night. We got through sound check fine, and then on about the third note of our first jam, POP goes my G string. It is just so much fun transfering runs up the neck. But, I was a trooper and just minimized my playing for the whole set. Now I see how bad I need an SR5 (just as a back up...YEAH RIGHT).
  2. What's really fun is playing a 6, getting used to staying in one position all the time, then breaking the ol' meat & potatoes A string.:eek: "Hey, what happened back there?"
    'Aw, I was just laying out for effect...*

*for two or three songs- at church.:rolleyes:
  3. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    When I used to use a pick constantly, I broke my low B string like once a month. But, then again, I was always tremolo picking right at the bridge....
  4. Brocko777

Jan 1, 2006
    Once you break one you'll never have that "I only need one bass" attitude again.
    I had the onstage priviledge of breaking a "D" with my other bass in the back(dressing)room in the case all warm and cozy.... then 30 second in my "A" went too! Thats fun... finished the song (poorly, but funny) not to many options with the E and G left. Excused myself... ran back got the back up and continued. The G broke soon after.. (on the same bass) really BAD set of strings... Bad Strings! go to your room!
  5. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    There should be a way of telling when your strings are going to break,snap or unwind at the bridge, because i get so paranoid before a gig whether to change my strings or not, i always end up buying and installing a new set before the gig, on the day or something..
  6. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    how do you break bass strings? i can understand maybe a G, but the E is so damn big and strong! do you use fingers, pick, slap? is it by hitting it too hard? i guess im missing something, because i cant see breaking a bass string. guitar strings are weak, so i can understand that, but not a bass string...:meh:
  7. Kidding(more or less). I used to break E & A strings regularly, when I was a 'punk rocker'(had no control over dynamics:rolleyes: ). These days, breaking a string means I should have replaced them long ago.
  8. thekyle

Dec 25, 2005
    Breckenridge, CO
    My guitar player broke the A on my old Fender in practice once. I wasn't even there yet!!! He just about died that day. They were old strings though.
  9. yea, now i'm a pick player and since i speedpick alot (somethin that makes it feel cooler), i'm used to breaking the D string (tuned to C) moreso than the A string (to G). Anyone here play EB powerslinkies and havea problem with their D's and A's breaking??
  10. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I did play them but quit for that very reason. I couldn't get more than two weeks out of them and <SNAP> [​IMG] Matter of fact, GHS Bass Boomers are just as bad.

I switched to DRs and Black Diamonds and haven't had a problem since.
  11. My G went last night with only 3 songs left in a two night gig.
    Luckily I always keep two basses on stage, tuned up, and
    very handy. And having my wireless transmitter hooked onto
    my strap w/ straplocks installed on both basses, changing quickly
    is a snap. I had the broken bass off and the new bass on by the
    time the intro for "Wonderful Tonight" was ready to start.

Always keep a back up on stage or/ be prepared.
    (I never was a boy scout, but all the other guys in my band
    are older, and have been in the military. They've taught me a lot.)
  12. Seigi

Jul 3, 2005
    I've never had any problems with strings breaking, but I rotate strings about once every 2 or 3 months. I've got about 5 sets of strings and 3 basses. I usually switch between Elixirs and Ernie Balls.
  13. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Most of the time, it'll be because they're just so old.

Essentially, whenever there is a vibrating string, there will be wear and tear. It's exactly the same as how a saw works, only the saw is more efficient. And in this case, it would be like moving the wood back and forth over the saw until the wood has been cut enough to destroy its structural integrity. Every string on every stringed instrument WILL break if given enough time.

FWIW, the last time I broke a string, it was my G in the middle of an audition. My fingers went right back to 4 string mode on the 5, which was bad, considering I was playing BEAD, rather than EADG.
  14. MazeMouse

Jan 27, 2005
    I don't break strings that often. Most of the time it's when I zone out and forget the dynamics and break the strings more-a-less with brute force (but at least I got my "groove-rush" ;))
  15. A friend of mine constantly blows up strings on his basses (brings 3 at times) and he plays fingerstyle!

I don't know if it's his pressing on the fretboards... fingering too hard... sudden moves... nerves... I have no idea...

It's weird but he breaks strings every 2 or 3 shows! Fingerstyle, guys.
  16. Mach1FT

Jan 5, 2006
    Manchester NH

Hope you had pants on...:p
  17. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    "I had the onstage privilege of breaking a "D", with my other bass in the back(dressing)room in the case all warm and cozy.... then 30 seconds in my "A" went too! Thats fun... "

Wow, that truly sucks! Hope it wasn't a critical gig!

Years ago I was playing at a place in Costa Mesa, CA. It had a corrugated tin roof over the stage and dance floor area. The stage was roughly triangular, and I was at my usual post,
    stage left. It happened to be raining, very unusual for the greater LA area. I'd been playing the bass for about 10 years, and had never broken a string. So we're playing, and
    I feel a drop of water on my neck hand. Sure enough, the roof had started leaking. At least it wasn't over my head! The leak proceeded to get faster, and due to the wall and
    the shape of the stage, I couldn't move my neck hand out of the way very well. My hand and neck were getting wetter, and all of a sudden the G popped. I had no spares! Had to play on 3 til break, then I rushed over to the only other club in the area, introduced myself to that band's bassist, and purchased a replacement from him. Lucky thing he had some!
    Bought a spare set the next day, and I've carried spares ever since. That's been 25 years ago, and I've never broken another one. But I'm ready!
  18. KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    the last time i broke a string was when i go my 2nd set of strings ever, and that was also the day I realized that stretching strings is not tuning them to pitch, then up an octave:smug:
  19. BigBassBob

Jul 17, 2005
    Wales, UK
    Only string I ever broke was a dead G (.45 GHS Boomer) as I was taking it off... started to slacken the string off to replace it and then *SNAP*... the little bugger snapped at the nut and caught my face :mad:

20. Time to check the saddles for "burrs". Sounds like a friction problem to me. Can't be that his strings are old; he changes them "every 2 or 3 shows"!:eyebrow: