1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

There is one thing I see missing

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Andy Mopley, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    in threads about deliberate practice, or practice in general and that is the lack of goals - to my mind, once you have a clear goal and timeframe in mind, everything else falls into place, one way or another...

Thanks for reading!

2. Tom Gale

Tom Gale

May 16, 2009
    I agree totally. When I wrote my Melodic Foundation Studies, I set it up to start the tech studies in C Major, then more in A minor - about one page each. Then came the review étude which is a short melodic work using the two keys/techs in a melodic setting. Instant applying. It works!
    It uses ten major and ten minor keys and the ten appropriate melodic études.
    Tom Gale

3. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    Yes, Tom, but further to that, in practicing I think the goal should be, for example, to play the Cmaj and relative minor scale, at a speed of 120bpm, using up/down bows, by the end of the month... Or similar... Small steps, small goals from which big things grow...break down the task in manageable chunks...Oops, corporate training coming through alert :))

4. MikeCanada

MikeCanada

Aug 30, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I agree with goal setting, and think that tangible and measurable is a lot better way to go if you want to see/hear results.

Some things are easier to measure, like "I want to be able to play ___ exercise/scale at ___ tempo with ___ bowing" vs. "I want to improve my intonation". I think both are achievable, but I feel that you have to find a way to measure intonation. Recording yourself is a great way to be able to hear progress, and I would suggest long tones, drone scales, and playing with a pianist/ensemble/recording (that features good tuning/intonation) to help you get there. I don't really know how to phrase that into a goal structure of "I want to do "x" in "y" way to achieve result "z"" though.

Personally, performances and lessons tend to be my strongest motivators. Even if it is playing for a couple of peers in your living room, performing is extremely valuable. And lessons are an expensive waste of your time (and that of your teacher as well) if you don't push yourself to prepare for them.

Set goals for sure. Find ways to measure them, find a couple more chances to perform than you are entirely comfortable with, and regardless to where you are in your career or ability, keep studying.

Now get back in the woodshed!

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    If it is missing, you don't see it. Carry on.

6. The best part about goals is they give you a somewhat clear understanding of all the knowledge you are missing to get to any certain level. Whether it be tap shred improvising over 35 different chord variations at 200bpm (start slooooooooow!!!) or learning to sing and play a 4 chord pop song at the same time (memorize the lyrics!!!).