Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

There is only one king of Bass

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by SRC670, Aug 30, 2001.

1. SRC670

SRC670

Aug 30, 2001
    Bridgeton NJ, USA
    Joco was awsome, but mostly sloppy in his later days. This is just my opinion, but I have not heard anyone with the articulation, speed, and musical content than Jeff Berlin. He is amazing.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, but his first 3 solo albums sucked musically (as did his sound) IMO - and his instructional video was a joke.
    Jaco may have been sloppier, but he grooved better, his style was more unique...etc. pp.

...just teasin' ya :D ;)

Nobody is perfect - and I'm a democrat anyway, no kings in my bassland. ;)

And it's Jaco (Jocko in the very early days).

Who loves ya?

3. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Flea wins the popularity contest. Plus hes cool because he acts like a little kid.

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Flea is cool, but i feel the same way. no kings in my bassland. i AM sick of everyone saying jaco s a god or this guys is a god or whatever. i will admit, im not a HUGE jazz fan, i listen to it now and then, and jaco could hold a groove ...........

5. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Mmm... which of Jaco's albums have you heard? Please tell me which song on which album he is sloppy on so I can listen to it, as I have all his albums, including rare Japanese and bootleg ones.

6. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    IMO, we never got to see Jaco to his full potential. I think that Jaco's short life opened a gateway to bassists like Victor Wooten. If you look at Victor Wooten, i think he is going to have a long career. He is healthy and seems like a nice guy, so no one is going to attack him.

For now, Jaco is the king, but maybe not in the future.

7. Really? I could have sworn that there were more than that. Hell, we have some of them right here on talkbass.

8. SRC670

SRC670

Aug 30, 2001
    Bridgeton NJ, USA
    As I stated, it was just my opinion....After reading some of the replies, I had an intensive Jaco (spelled right that time aye?) listening session. OK, I would not call him sloppy per se, maybe it is just his reverb/distorted tone that always bugged me......who knows, hell, I grew up swearing that Gene Simmons was that all time bestist bass guy in the world!:D

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Were you listing to slang? I think jaco used distion well. He didn't overuse it, and when he used it, it had meaning.

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you know, the one thing that i really dig about our instrument is that there is so much diversity and potential still available to be explored. there is so much room for development on so many fronts, no other instrument has so much room for technical and artistic development and expansion. i think that's a product of the fact that our instrument, bass guitar, is still a relatively new instrument, with elements of guitar and of double bass, along with elements and characteristics unique to itself.

jaco was great, but there were so many technical and artistic things he never even tried doing on bass. that's not because he was limited, it's because there are so many things to do on the instrument, and he chose to explore just a few of them, and map them out. it's like saying that lewis and clark were the greatest explorers of all time - they didn't map out the whole planet, you know. ;) jaco surely didn't map out all of "planet bass" either - no one player has.

ultimately, it's like saying who's the better guitarist, pepe romero or jimi hendrix? the only difference being that, i think, the bass has yet to be technically and artistically tapped out like the guitar has become (imo). it's alot easier to do things on bass that nobody else has done before than it is on guitar.

11. :lost-tourist voice on:

Is this a poll? I vote for Pepe.

:lost-tourist voice off:

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA

What the hell? That's probably one of the weirdest statement I've ever read on Talkbass! "He's a nice guy, so nobody is going to attack him"? Hhhmmm...

The only thing I know to say to this is "oooooookay."

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, hey, angus, didn't you know? jaco wasn't a "nice guy" and so some dude came up to him, out of the blue, and killed him. geeze, get your history straight.

:rolleyes:

14. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    what i meant was that he is not agrivating assault. He isn't pissing someone off. You don't want to piss off the wrong guy that has had a bad day, and may own guns.

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that's generally a good policy. definitely words to live by.

:D

16. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    It also helps that Jeff Berlin hangs around here, so we can kiss his butt with posts like this...:rolleyes:

17. D.J

D.J

Jan 31, 2000
    ;) Hey guys don't forget the legendary John Paul Jones, he is really awesome!
    God bless him!

18. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    JPJ is a great bassist and all, but i'm not sure if i would classify him with inovators like Stanley Clarke, Jamerson, or Jaco.

19. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I don't agree. JPJ was one of the most influential bassists of all time. His innovation was different, but just as important..more akin to what Jamerson did as opposed to Jaco or Stanley.

For those of us (and we are many) who aren't and will never be interested in being soloists, JPJ taught us that a bassist can be melodic while heavy, and how to bridge a gap between a drummer and guitarist.

20. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Even though I'm a Jaco fanatic, I've got to give props to JJ Brunell from The Stranglers. Classically trained in Flamenco style guitar, and applied that to being a punk bassist! Amazing! Plus he is a 3rd degree balck belt to boot. Gotta like that!:D